Recipe Chocolate Oreo Cake

Local time
12:39 PM
I questioned the use of the boiling water in this recipe in another thread, and, as requested, here is the actual recipe in case anyone wants to try it out. The cake turned out to be very good and the icing was, in my opinion, the best part. I actually jotted down the icing recipe by itself so I can remember to use it for other cakes as well!

I found the recipe on Pinterest, it came from this link: http://ldylvbgr.blogspot.com/2009/08/chocolate-oreo-cake.html

For cake:
2 c. sugar
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's Cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water
10-15 oreos twisted to separate cookies and reveal cream center
15 oreos, chopped directly in half through cookie

For icing:
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
2/3 c. Hershey's Cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

For filling:
1/3 c. whipping cream
2 tsp powdered sugar
small dash vanilla extract
1/8 c. oreo cookie crumbs, made from reserved oreo sides

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 9-inch round baking pans, lining with parchment.
-On one layer of cake, place cookie halves that have been separated into the bottom of one pan, cream side up. Repeat for second layer.
-Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
-Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
-Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
-Pour batter very carefully into prepared pans.
-Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
-Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and place onto wire racks.
-Remove parchment and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make frosting:
-Stir melted butter into cocoa.
-Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
-Add small amount additional milk, if needed. -Stir in vanilla. (About 2 cups frosting.)

Meanwhile, make filling:
-In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff.
-Gently fold in the cookie crumbs.
-Scoop the mixture into a piping bag (or gallon sized ziploc bag).
-When cake is completely cooled, make icing dam around the top edge of the layer of cake that has oreos baked into it.
-Fill icing dam with a layer of cream filling.
-Place other cake layer on top, and frost with chocolate frosting.
-Place oreo halves around bottom edge and top of cake.
-Serve or store in refrigerator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea, sase3119. I would be curious, too, as to the result. I would even consider using a bit less water as well. Before adding it, the batter was almost a brownie batter consistency, but after the addition of the water, it seemed as if it was too thin -- although the cake still turned out.

Has anyone tried heating the cocoa powder first for a minimum of thirty minutes depending on your preference? I believe heating it will kind of char or roast the powder a bit and intensify the flavor. I am just guessing because I have not yet tried doing it. I was just curious since it is a part of the ingredients maybe someone here had tried doing that.

Back
Top Bottom