Chopsticks

worldmachine

Veteran
Local time
6:21 AM
How many of you use chopsticks when eating oriental food? Some people say that the food tastes better when using chopsticks. I like to use them just to give the meal a more authentic feel. I have quite a selection, Chinese ones made from wood or bone with square tips and Japanese ones which are pointed, shorter and more decorative.

Chopsticks are thought to originate as far back as the Shang dynasty (1766 - 1122 BC) and were thought to have been used for cooking and not as eating utensils at that time.

I do! I love oriental food, specially Japanese, and I learned a long time ago to use chopsticks. I still can't grab stuff like rice and pasta with them, but I do really well with sushi and more solid foods.

Here in my husband country we used chopsticks everyday because it is in their culture. Before when I first came here I had a hard time using it and there is one instances when we are eating together with my in laws I really apologized when I dropped one piece of them. But with the passage of time I now enjoy eating using chopsticks and yes its true their foods taste better when using them.

I do not, but I have tried. I do not have the coordination to do it. I know I could learn, but I do not eat Asian food often enough to get the practice I would need to learn it. I admire those who have learned as an adult and are able to do it well.

Well, as an Asian, this is finally my time to shine! Lol but in all seriousness, I did grow up using chopsticks, and if it makes you guys feel better, a lot of people here don't know their way around a knife and fork AT ALL. It's almost comical watching them struggle eating more western food

I am ok with chopsticks as long as the food pieces are big. It is just easier to eat the food with a fork, and I do not notice a difference in the taste of the food if I eat it with chopsticks or a fork. As long as the food makes it to my mouth, that is all that matters.

I am ok with chopsticks as long as the food pieces are big. It is just easier to eat the food with a fork, and I do not notice a difference in the taste of the food if I eat it with chopsticks or a fork. As long as the food makes it to my mouth, that is all that matters.

What about noodles? You eat noodles with a fork?

What about noodles? You eat noodles with a fork?

I do...

I use chopsticks when Night Train's parents serve Chinese food and lay out chopsticks, and I do ok, but I find my hand gets tired towards the end of a meal and I start to lose coordination. When we have soup noodles for a quick lunch on our own, NT uses chopsticks, but I use a fork and spoon, it's just easier for me.

I find it very tricky to pick up anything large, round or slippery like dim sum without the chopsticks slipping and twisting.

I have seen people using chopsticks to eat their meals, I have never learned to use the chopsticks when eating Chinese food. We do not get Chinese take out often to get the practice I would need to use the chopsticks while eating.

I don't eat Chinese food with chopsticks, but I absolutely have to eat sushi with them. I find it really strange to eat sushi without chopsticks, so much that it ruins the experience for me. I love sushi and there is just something about it that chopsticks are part of the experience!

Well I have to say I have never used chopsticks but it's sort of on my "list of things to do". It's just another one of those things to do to say I've got that covered, It's not something I see a lot here in my country.

I don't remember seeing anyone here eating with chopsticks. Maybe it does happen occasionally, but I have never seen it being done. I myself have never used chopsticks, and thinking about doing so does sound challenging. I guess with practice, like with everything else, I would be able to master the art. If I was visiting China or Asia, for instance, I probably would do as they do and give it a try.

I don't remember seeing anyone here eating with chopsticks. Maybe it does happen occasionally, but I have never seen it being done. I myself have never used chopsticks, and thinking about doing so does sound challenging. I guess with practice, like with everything else, I would be able to master the art. If I was visiting China or Asia, for instance, I probably would do as they do and give it a try.

Yeah, to me, I don't see chopsticks as difficult at all, but then again I grew up with them so of course I'm used to them by now. The key is to grip it higher up on the end rather than towards the middle, which is what I see a lot of beginners do. That way, you get more control over the chopsticks.

Back
Top Bottom