Christmas cake time

I made mine the first week in November. It's been fed twice so far.
I use the Mary Berry recipie which involves soaking all the fruit in brandy for three days before you make it. I never follow the exact proportions of dried fruit as I like to use up the ends of packets and add dates which arn't in the recipie. I use less cherries as I personally don't like them - chef's prerogative! My sister is a chef and says Mary Berry's cake cuts beautifully because of the high proportion of currants, which is useful when serving it to a lot of people at a function.
See here for the recipe: Mary Berry's Classic Christmas Cake

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been deferred until next week now. I had a new cooker yesterday and it was finally fitted properly (or just connected properly) today. I'm out tomorrow and need to get the calendar photos selected over the next couple of days, plus there is the housework to get caught up on and done and some cooking... so it will have to be next week. It's been a good many years since it was this late in being made.
I hope you enjoy using the new cooker .

I hope you enjoy using the new cooker .
Me to, but it seems that it may only go to gas 5. today (it's 3am now) it test day time... finally. we paid someone else to cook or lunch for us. evening meal was what we normally have for lunch!

PS we've moved your Christmas cake into a recipe of its own right.. it's easier to find recipes that way when you want them again rather than them being embedded do in threads as they can sometimes end up... having someone here use that recipe and recommended it is great... it's there a home photo of your version of her cake available? or even your version of her recipe. I often revise recipes because of ingredients I don't like and mine is solid fruit as well!

I made mine the first week in November. It's been fed twice so far.
I use the Mary Berry recipie which involves soaking all the fruit in brandy for three days before you make it. I never follow the exact proportions of dried fruit as I like to use up the ends of packets and add dates which arn't in the recipie. I use less cherries as I personally don't like them - chef's prerogative! My sister is a chef and says Mary Berry's cake cuts beautifully because of the high proportion of currants, which is useful when serving it to a lot of people at a function.
See here for the recipe: Mary Berry's Classic Christmas Cake
I don't soak mine. I'm not an alcohol lover at all, but this is my recipe
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/homemade-christmas-cake.40/

Me to, but it seems that it may only go to gas 5. today (it's 3am now) it test day time... finally. we paid someone else to cook or lunch for us. evening meal was what we normally have for lunch!

PS we've moved your Christmas cake into a recipe of its own right.. it's easier to find recipes that way when you want them again rather than them being embedded do in threads as they can sometimes end up... having someone here use that recipe and recommended it is great... it's there a home photo of your version of her cake available? or even your version of her recipe. I often revise recipes because of ingredients I don't like and mine is solid fruit as well!
I've only taken pictures of the iced cake before, but next time I unwrap it for feeding, I'll take a picture and another one when we cut into it.

Back
Top Bottom