Christmas Competition 2017

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:37 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I thought I'd run a Christmas Competition this year. There is a prize, suitably Australian themed which I'll deliver to anywhere in the world (well I'll pay for delivery to anywhere in the world... :whistling:)

To enter you need to do the following:
  • Predict how many of the 10 eggs she is sitting on will hatch,
  • Tie breaker: Predict the day/date the first of my broody's chicks will hatch.
So some information.
She's sitting on 10 eggs and I've not candled any, so even I don't know who many (if any) are viable and could hatch. The last batch hatched on day 18 (3 chicks) and day 19 (1 more). She was sitting on 9 eggs. Prior to that I set 20 eggs going in the incubator and 11 hatched (at day 19, 20 & 21). And prior to that one of my chooks hatched 2 chicks from 18 eggs she was sitting on. Both hatched on day 21.

We are at day 18 today (Tuesday 5th December).

The boring stuff (aka the rules) :
This competition is running on Australian Eastern Daylight Saving time, aka the timezone the chicken is in.
It is being run solely by the owner of the site, so is open to all members including staff/moderators because they have nothing to do with it at all.
Anyone entering must have a minimum of 5 contributory posts to the site by the closing date (so I'll accept new members entering but hello I'm new here posts won't count, and neither will single sentence replies or posts such as yes, I think that's a good idea, or your entry into this comp. My decision is final in this.)
The closing date is determined by my chicken and myself. I will candle any unhatched eggs to confirm if the chick inside is dead or never developed etc, so all 10 eggs will be checked one way or another.
A chick needs to have survived hatching and be completely out of its shell to be counted as hatched.
Any chicks hatching overnight will be counted as hatched on the first morning they are discovered!
In the event that no eggs hatch by day 25, I'll candle and confirm...
In the event that no-one choose the correct number to hatch, the closest will win.
If there is more than 1 person with the correct number and correct date, the first person to have predicted those figures will win.
The winner must provide me with an address to post the prize to.
The prize will be sent via the cheapest postage option available. I make no guarantees that it will arrive before Christmas (or the New Year for that matter!).
My decision is final.

Last edited:
I really have no idea .. However, I will say, that by January 6th, all shall be hatched ..

Just what came to my mind 1st ..

Good luck !

Day 20, two
Day 21, three
Day 23, one
Day 24, two
Day 25, one

Two will fail. One will not survive after hatching.

One will fail, one more will not survive after hatching

Double yolkers tend to produce one stronger and one weaker/not fully formed. This due to the limited resources available within the egg. Both normally don't make it past the first day.

Last edited:
Just to clarify for people.

• Predict how many of the 10 eggs she is sitting on will hatch, options are 0-10.
  • Tie breaker: Predict the day/date the first of my broody's chicks will hatch options either a date (Wed 6th December for example) from today through to roughly a week today or day (day 21 for example)
I'm only expecting 2 answers from people. For example
  • 5 chicks (total that will hatch out of 10)
  • Thursday 7th December or day 20 (the date/day I think the first chick will hatch out)

Back
Top Bottom