Christmas Eve 24th: Seven Fish Carte. What is your plan?

@ElizabethB

Oh ! So sorry to hear that George is out of sorts .. All my Speedy Recovery Wishes George ..

Have a lovely day .. If George can, I would try some type of bread with coats a lining on the stomach ( and intestines ) and reduces the bowel movements ..

@morning glory

Calamar and Squid are two difference species of Cephalopods..

Cuttle fish: Sepia Officinalis .. The term Cephalopod means "feet in mouth" and all these creatures possess tentacles and offer a high proportion of edible flesh and are prized in both Spain & Portugal .. Cuttlefish is Jibia in Spanish and Sèpia in Catalan or Sipia and in French, Seiche.
Cuttle fish, has ink like squid does but less of it and it is considered here to be used in Arroz Negro (black rice). It is not Sepia or Calamari .. It is also used in jarred or tinned or canned goods. Not as a stuffed squid or fried calamari ..

The Latin name is Sepia Officinalis or Sepidae ..

Calamar: Called Squid, in Spanish Calamari as in Italian, and Calamarsò in Catalan and Encornet in French.
It is from The Lolignidae or Lolgo Vulgaris in Latin.
The Ink is used in rices and stuffed squid, called Sepia Relleno. It is also sliced in arcs and breaded and sautéed .. or Deep fried .. Called Calamari ..

Squid: The Ilex Coindetii or Ommasterhidae which is known as a Flying Squid which is called Calamar in French, Canana in Catalan and Volador in Spanish is a Mediterranean - Atlantic Species in southern Spain and Portugal and it does not fly however, it propels themselves out of the wáter and glides through the air .. It is commonly stuffed and baked in White wine and Mediterranean ingredients ..

Last edited:
@Francesca
Thank you for your kind thoughts. G was well enough to make it to our family gathering yesterday. He is still experiencing some bowel disorder but it has eased up a lot and he is not experiencing the cramping that he had Sunday. He is not doing too bad - he just left to go to his hunting camp. :laugh:

@Francesca
Thank you for your kind thoughts. G was well enough to make it to our family gathering yesterday. He is still experiencing some bowel disorder but it has eased up a lot and he is not experiencing the cramping that he had Sunday. He is not doing too bad - he just left to go to his hunting camp. :laugh:

Ok, I heard about those "Hunting Camps"! How much beer went with him?:whistling:

@CraigC

:laugh: G's hunting camp is in north east Louisiana - 3 hours from home. He can hunt both federal (Tensaw) and state (Big Lake) land. The surroundings are stunning. Game every where - deer, turkey, wild pigs, squirrels. Beautiful woods. Some swampy areas, a river. Really lovely. The "camp" is a 20' x 20' construction - almost a shack. I have been twice then called it quits. They do make an effort to keep it somewhat clean but it still smells of man sweat and stale flatulence. A guy's place. I stick to the fishing camp on Toledo Bend Reservoir.

G can not have any carbonated drinks so beer is out. He sticks to red wine. He did have a margarita Friday and a couple of glasses of eggnog with whisky Saturday. Hard liquor is not a good idea. Since gastric sleeve bariatric surgery his stomach is the size of a medium banana. Alcohol goes directly to his blood stream. Cheap date! :laugh:

@Francesca

@ElizabethB

I guess if George could go hunting, his stomach and bowels could not be too dysfunctional .. Or the hunted shall run run run !!!!

Have a great evening ..

The Mediterranean Seven Fish Carte, for Christmas Eve, has been somewhat lost its signficance amongst many who choose to do more modern menus for this special occasion .. However, in my family, we keep the traditions going and here is one of the cartes that we are in the process of discussing ..

Palate Opener: Sea Bream Carpaccio ..
Fresh Oysters on the Half Shell ..
Greek Taramasalata with Grey Mullet ..
A classic Saint Malo, French Blue Lobster served simply with French Butter & boiled or steamed in Sea Water ..
Half portion Italian Carnaroli Rice with Gamberi ( red prawns ) .. Or Bio Linguini Puttanesca with Anchovies or Vongole ( Clams ) ..
Peruvian Ceviche - with Sea Scallops or Crevettes Rouges .. Based on availability ..
Scottish Highland Whole Salmon ..
Wow really a great menu!
When I was a child the tradition was an eve without meat but above all poor and abstinence. Typical was to eat cod with chickpeas. Nothing else. Even now, my mother in law does not want to eat anything else.

Wow really a great menu!
When I was a child the tradition was an eve without meat but above all poor and abstinence. Typical was to eat cod with chickpeas. Nothing else. Even now, my mother in law does not want to eat anything else.

@Sandra

We prepare La vigilia di 7 Pesce ( the 7 fish / shellfish 24th ) dinner every year and change the cartes ..

We have a dish called Bacalao, Garbanzos y Espinacas ( Cod fish, chick peas and Spinach ) however, we eat this during The Lent ( La Cuaresma ), beginning the day after The Carnival of Venezia and it lasts until Easter Sunday ..

My mom and 2 grandmothers still prepare it and my French mom in law ( Provençal ) ..

Yes, things have changed quite a bit since we were very young .. We like cod with chickpeas and spinach ! It is a wonderful stew ..

Have a wonderful evening ..

Back
Top Bottom