Christmas Foodie Presents

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:32 PM
I'm trying to make a little list of food/drink related presents that I'd like for Christmas (I also have a birthday coming up soon). Do you have a list of foodie items you would like to receive? Or perhaps you make/give foodie presents to others. Please tell!

My list is thus so far:

Smoke Gun
Sous Vide
Scales for weighing very small quantities
Caviar (I can dream of the real deal)
Truffles (not the chocolate kind... again, I can dream)

I've not heard of a "smoke gun" before. I looked it up on Google and found that they are available here for Bht 5,900.00 (about £135.00). I can't see me personally getting much use out of one, so I'll give it a miss.

I've not heard of a "smoke gun" before. I looked it up on Google and found that they are available here for Bht 5,900.00 (about £135.00). I can't see me personally getting much use out of one, so I'll give it a miss.

They aren't that cheap here - and you are right, its not something I'm likely to use every week. But the way I look at it is that cooking is my only real hobby so a few pieces of special kit are justifiable.

Caprichos for The Ephiphany or for Christmas for us are usually drinkable or readable .. With this in mind:

A Winery tasting for two at Alvaro Palacios (Reds) or Juve y Camps (Cavas) ..

A lunch for two at a gem of a Restaurant Reserved and Paid For ..

A gastronmic book or DVD that they have been speaking about but do not own .. ( From Fnac Barcelona )

I made a batch of Kahlua - it is aging in the pantry. My family will receive pint jars of Kahlua as gifts.

Reminder to self - make tags for jars.

We are giving my step son a Japanese Chef knife for Christmas. He loves mine and wants to "play" with it. Not allowed. He will have his own. Seriously - what do you give a 42 year old man who has everything? He is like G - if he wants it he buys it. :devil: Makes gift giving very difficult.

Caprichos for The Ephiphany or for Christmas for us are usually drinkable or readable .. With this in mind:

A Winery tasting for two at Alvaro Palacios (Reds) or Juve y Camps (Cavas) ..

A lunch for two at a gem of a Restaurant Reserved and Paid For ..

A gastronmic book or DVD that they have been speaking about but do not own .. ( From Fnac Barcelona )

@ElizabethB & @morning glory

Thank you both for the "like click"..

We prefer to give presents that are an "amazing experience" verses a book or something else that is physical .. Our parents, sons, daughter in laws are all in the Hospitaly Industry and can purchase what they want at wholesale prices .. The only 2 in the family who receive a physical gift are our two grandsons and very "well thought out with their parents permission" ..

A wine tasting or a beautiful lunch for two is always much more enjoyable than a present that is unwelcomed like another scarf or pair of gloves etcetra .. They can buy all these ítems on their own ..

We have decided to give my two sons & their wives, a weekend stay of 3 days and 2 nights at a historical hotel (www.parador.es) .. My parents and inlaws shall take care of our grandsons.

For my parents & Inlaws & Grandparents ( both of still have them) we are giving them a lunch at the Parador of Aiguablava on the Costa Brava and a 3 day and 2 night stay at the Hotel on the coast of Empordà ..

That is it .. My parents had asked us, what we would like and of course, really nothing ! However, since we are going to Italia in January, both of us said, a new suitcase on wheels. We want " Bordeaux Wine Color Suitcases " for hand luggage fit aboard aircraft ..

We have black and so does almost everybody else !! So, we would prefer to have burgundy color ..

One of our daughter in laws are giving us the 2018 Michelin Guide Book of Italy ..

Undecided on what else would be usable and not sit un-used ..

We discuss .. As we do not like clothing gifts ..

He is like G - if he wants it he buys it. :devil: Makes gift giving very difficult.

We used to have door-to-door sellers arrive at our gate. I would tell them, "I don't want, I have one".

My wife would ask "what were they selling?"

I said "I don't know, but if we needed one we would already have one."

We don't appear to attract many salesmen now.

I think kitchen gadgets make great gifts.....its a great chance to get those things that you'd really like but probably can't actually justify buying. We're lucky enough to be able to just buy anything we need or would be really useful, so the things that go on my Christmas list are generally things I'd quite like and may get around to buying eventually but are not a priority. So this year I have on my list a rotisserie to fit on our kettle bbq (I don't really expect to receive this as its a bit expensive, but there's always the possibility that family may club together for it ;-) and a sandwich maker that also has waffle plates.

Other family members seem to be following suit as they have things like blenders, cast iron skillets, cake tins etc. on their lists.

When we were younger and the family was smaller we all gifted each other. As the family grew cost became prohibitive. We started pulling names at Thanks Giving. That tradition was between the siblings, their spouses or current squeeze. That was a main gift - $50. We continued to give each other a small gift. We call them stocking stuffers. A pair of gloves, a scarf, a book, something handmade - usually in the $10 range. The family continued to grow. Of course the nieces and nephew were over indulged. Now the nieces and nephew are grown and have children of their own. Two years ago they asked to be included in the name drawing. We still give small gifts and the babes are spoiled rotten.

Last year I was working with paper crafts. So my small gift to the adults was a hand made paper Cache bowl. Something that could be placed on a table near the door or dresser in the bedroom to hold loose change, keys, wallet, sun glasses. I was pleased at how they all appreciated my efforts. No two bowls were alike. I made a game out of it. The eldest had first choice of a wrapped bowl. Then down the line according to age. Once every one had a wrapped packed they opened them. Then starting with the youngest they were able to "steel" a bowl or keep the one they had.

Oh! On my wish list would be -

Charbonnel et Walker Chocolates (champagne or gin truffles).

A kitchen aid mixer

Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Oval Casserole

A subscription to the new National Geographic food magazine being launched in December.

Oh, and champagne

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! On my wish list would be -

Charbonnel et Walker Chocolates (champagne or gin truffles).

A kitchen aid mixer

Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Oval Casserole

A subscription to the new National Geographic food magazine being launched in December.

Oh, and champagne

In case you all think I’m completely selfish I make Christmas cakes and puddings to give as gifts every year.

Also marmalade, chilli jam, and pickled onions. We also give our honey to family members.

@LadyBelle - it took me an age to track down the page for subscriptions for the National Geographic Food mag! They have a start deal of £3 per issue for 3 months. It is now ordered for my birthday this month! The first issue is out on 30th November. It looks as if it may be very interesting and a lot more in-depth than other food magazine. Thanks! :D

Here is where you can subscribe: https://natgeofood.co.uk/subscribe/

Back
Top Bottom