Christmas Foodie Presents

For my husbands family we give wine or chocolate. In our town is a small local chocolate shop who make their own so we bought 3 boxes-supporting a local independent shop, from the lovely deli we bought 2 bottles of wine-not found in supermarkets-again supporting local independent shop. My husband's eldest niece and her husband will be given a cook book hopefully 1 they dob't already have, they both like to try different things as we do so we usually give each other cookery books, last year they gave us a Korean cook book :thumbsup:

I am not a big chocolate enthusiast unless it is top notch quality for example, Sprüngli - Switzerland Limited Edition Black Chocolate or Tuscan or French black Chocolate ..

I also have a penchant for Belgian White.

Last edited:
I am not a big chocolate enthusiast unless it is top notch quality for example, Sprüngli - Switzerland Limited Edition Black Chocolate or Tuscan or French black Chocolate ..

I also have a penchant for Belgian White.

I prefer good quality white and dark chocolate, husband is a chocoholic and will eat pretty much anything made of chocolate.

My wife usually makes a selections of jams and chutneys throughout the year using produce from the garden. About half gets put into nice little jars or bottles and given to friends and relatives at Christmas along with home-made sloe gin. Youngest son is getting very foodie (yes, I'm really chuffed) and having introduced him to the joys of grating black pepper onto a piece of cheese (trust me, try it) his present will be easy - a Black Bomber cheddar cheese, a pepper mill stocked with Kampot pepper and a bottle of port. Might pop round to his place over Christmas!

They aren't that cheap here - and you are right, its not something I'm likely to use every week. But the way I look at it is that cooking is my only real hobby so a few pieces of special kit are justifiable.
I wouldn't waste your money. You can easily make a small smoker using an old aluminium steamer. The wood dust/chips can be bought on-line - about £12 for three assorted packets. The wood dust goes in the bottom (where the water would go), and the food goes in the top. Stick it on the hob for a few minutes, job done. Now a sous vide on the other hand... Sound investment.

I wouldn't waste your money. You can easily make a small smoker using an old aluminium steamer. The wood dust/chips can be bought on-line - about £12 for three assorted packets. The wood dust goes in the bottom (where the water would go), and the food goes in the top. Stick it on the hob for a few minutes, job done. Now a sous vide on the other hand... Sound investment.

Well I got the smoking gun (Sage) for my birthday but accidentally left in in Saffron Walden so i haven't had a chance to use it yet. I think it will be good for vegetables as well as meat and fish. And yes it was expensive but I didn't pay for it...:D

I mentioned somewhere that we draw names between the adults. This year we have my #1 brother and Brother-in-law - Baby Sis's hubby. Both are extremely difficult to shop for. I thought of giving them each a DNA kit. Brother has one on order. Ordered a kit for BIL. I think I will send Brother food - local stuff that he can not get in Colorado. The market down the street makes boneless, stuffed chickens. There are different stuffings to choose from - crawfish etouffee, shrimp, boudin, or - my favorite - spinach and artichoke hearts. They also make very good boudin. So - a stuffed chicken and some boudin for Brother.

Fruitcake soaked in booze can be gifted year after year, like Peeps (Easter) they have the same half-life as Strontium 90!:ohmy::laugh:

IMG_1986.JPG

I bought this earlier in the week, not as a Christmas present although I am sure that's the market it's aimed at. OK, I couldn't resist it - pickled oranges? Wow!

It was very nice - we had it with cheese on toast. What amazed me though is the way a subtle (or not) change in branding/description can add so much to perceived value. Yes, I was duped. Whilst it is very nice, it is basically orange marmalade with few very cheap Christmassy spices added, and sold at more than twice the price of even a luxury top end marmalade. Brilliant tactics I have to admit. Had I given it away as a present then it would have been a winner for all - I would have felt good for spending so much on a present, the recipient would have been delighted at the originality of it, and not having known the price would not have compared it unfavourably with a jar of marmalade. Oh, and kerching all the way down the supply chain. Yet more proof that I shouldn't be allowed in a deli without a responsible adult to manage my pocket money.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 12139

I bought this earlier in the week, not as a Christmas present although I am sure that's the market it's aimed at. OK, I couldn't resist it - pickled oranges? Wow!

It was very nice - we had it with cheese on toast. What amazed me though is the way a subtle (or not) change in branding/description can add so much to perceived value. Yes, I was duped. Whilst it is very nice, it is basically orange marmalade with few very cheap Christmassy spices added, and sold at more than twice the price of even a luxury top end marmalade. Brilliant tactics I have to admit. Had I given it away as a present then it would have been a winner for all - I would have felt good for spending so much on a present, the recipient would have been delighted at the originality of it, and not having known the price would not have compared it unfavourably with a jar of marmalade. Oh, and kerching all the way down the supply chain. Yet more proof that I shouldn't be allowed in a deli without a responsible adult to manage my pocket money.

Well - perhaps it will not be wasted money as it could lead to inspiration. You (or I) could try pickling oranges properly! Pickled lemons are well known. Why not oranges?

Back
Top Bottom