Christmas Foodie Presents

Well - perhaps it will not be wasted money as it could lead to inspiration. You (or I) could try pickling oranges properly! Pickled lemons are well known. Why not oranges?
Well, I do have two large bags of oranges that I bought to put through the new juice press, and probably too much time on my hands over Christmas. And you can never resist a challenge!

You could always salt preserve them like you do lemons for Moroccan cuisine, or make candied orange peels, which are so much better when homemade.

I think I am going to try to make something I've never tried before if I can get everything I need today as it takes 10-14 days to mature. No, not a fruitcake. Kind of a last minute idea and 1 of the ingredients isn't real common. It's a gift for Craig so everybody else has to wait too to see if it works. He has my car and I hate driving his truck so I don't really want to go far.

You could always salt preserve them like you do lemons for Moroccan cuisine, or make candied orange peels, which are so much better when homemade.

I think I am going to try to make something I've never tried before if I can get everything I need today as it takes 10-14 days to mature. No, not a fruitcake. Kind of a last minute idea and 1 of the ingredients isn't real common. It's a gift for Craig so everybody else has to wait too to see if it works. He has my car and I hate driving his truck so I don't really want to go far.

Intrigued about the present!

Yes, I had wondered about preserving them like lemons, but I'm not sure how useful they would be. This one is going to take some thinking about.

You can still buy chocolate decorations for the tree, even Cadbury's ones, but I have never had any that tasted like soap!
When I was a child we always had some chocolate decorations. They were nearly always dark chocolate, because even then I didn't like milk chocolate and neither did my Mum. I do agree though that some chocolate decorations taste awful. Perhaps it's just a case of you get what you pay for. The decent ones always seemed a bit expensive to me when I got them for my own daughter.

As far as giving foodie presents, I don't any more. I used to take food to my daughter's (gingerbread, home made jams, and lots of other things), but my granddaughters don't eat anything like that, and my daughter's list of intolerances and dislikes seem to put paid to a lot of the items I would take. Of course, if she asks for something specifically, I try my best to get/take them for her.

As for receiving foodie presents, I can't think of anything I really need at the moment, so anything I did get would be a surprise.

Last edited:

I'm very intrigued. I suppose you can't give us any clues as he may read this thread!

Craig came home with some out of towners to keep us company over the holidays. Now comes decisions, decisions. It's hard to photograph the one, but it's from Italy and also comes in white at a bit more than twice the price.

2017-12-22 18.34.49.jpg
20171222_181259.jpg

I've given home made (from home grown fruit) apple/honey mustard and curried apple and green tomato chutney.

I have received!!!@ two jars of olives, two jars of tapenade and a Jewish recipe book (all from my lovely husband). And some lovely pistachio nuts (a favourite of mine) and stuffed dates from my mum.

And some dairy free chocolate that I plan to use in my experiments to create the best gluten and dairy free chocolate brownies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom