Recipe Cinnamon Rolls

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:18 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
This recipe will save you a trip to Cinnabon. And, while the ingredients are a bit lighter, it won't save you a trip to the gym.

P3thD9cyTXNT5Um9eeqB_IMG_0638.jpg

Cinnamon Roll Calories.jpg

Ingredients

1⁄4 ounce yeast
1⁄2 cup warm water
1⁄2 cup skim milk, scalded
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons light butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons light butter (filling)
3⁄4 cup brown sugar (filling)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (filling)
1⁄2 cup walnuts (filling)
3 tablespoons butter (glaze)
1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (glaze)
3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (glaze)
1⁄4 cup hot water (glaze)

Directions
  1. Dissolve yeast and 1/4 cup brown sugar in warm water and let rest for about 5 minutes. Blend in milk, melted butter, salt, and egg. Using a mixer fitted with dough hooks, mix flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in bowl sprayed with non-stick spray, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  2. When doubled in size, roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts. Beginning on the short side, roll up dough. Wet along the edge to seal. Cut into 12 slices using a serrated knife.
  3. Brush the bottom of baking pan with melted butter. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
  4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
  5. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, hot water, and vanilla. Drizzle over slightly cooled rolls.

I like the addition of walnuts here - a good combination with the cinnamon. :okay: They are quite time consuming to make aren't they? I made some similar to this not long ago here

This recipe will save you a trip to Cinnabon. And, while the ingredients are a bit lighter, it won't save you a trip to the gym.

P3thD9cyTXNT5Um9eeqB_IMG_0638.jpg

View attachment 9388

Ingredients

1⁄4 ounce yeast
1⁄2 cup warm water
1⁄2 cup skim milk, scalded
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons light butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons light butter (filling)
3⁄4 cup brown sugar (filling)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (filling)
1⁄2 cup walnuts (filling)
3 tablespoons butter (glaze)
1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (glaze)
3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (glaze)
1⁄4 cup hot water (glaze)

Directions
  1. Dissolve yeast and 1/4 cup brown sugar in warm water and let rest for about 5 minutes. Blend in milk, melted butter, salt, and egg. Using a mixer fitted with dough hooks, mix flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in bowl sprayed with non-stick spray, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  2. When doubled in size, roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts. Beginning on the short side, roll up dough. Wet along the edge to seal. Cut into 12 slices using a serrated knife.
  3. Brush the bottom of baking pan with melted butter. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
  4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
  5. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, hot water, and vanilla. Drizzle over slightly cooled rolls.
Any particular reason for the kosher salt as opposed to Grand Saline salt or sea salt?

Any particular reason for the kosher salt as opposed to Grand Saline salt or sea salt?
I use kosher salt because it's what I have. I do have some finishing salts (I have a 3-pack that includes Fleur de Sel, Flake Salt, and Sel Gris), but those aren't for the day-to-day stuff. What do you find is the difference between kosher salt and sea salt? I always took them to be comparable.

I use kosher salt because it's what I have. I do have some finishing salts (I have a 3-pack that includes Fleur de Sel, Flake Salt, and Sel Gris), but those aren't for the day-to-day stuff. What do you find is the difference between kosher salt and sea salt? I always took them to be comparable.
I've never used kosher salt.

Back
Top Bottom