Clangers

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
3:39 AM
[Mod.Edit - this post and following few moved to start new thread as its an interesting new topic]

I wish I was more knowledgeable about Gammon and suet. I keep bumping into recipes for Clangers. They look delicious. Has anyone had a Clanger? Did you like it? Is it a popular dish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I was more knowledgeable about Gammon and suet. I keep bumping into recipes for Clangers. They look delicious. Has anyone had a Clanger? Did you like it? Is it a popular dish?
I had never heard of these until now. A quick search has revealed the "Bedfordshire Clanger", and it looks delicious! A cross between what we know as a pasty and a roll, with suet pastry wrapped around a savoury filling of beef skirt. @morning glory has just taken some beef skirt from her freezer. Just saying...

I thought it was a unique and tasty idea to have the main dish on one end of the roll up, and the dessert on the other end. Maybe pie dough will work?

Clangers are very popular in this country :wink:
c60f0cf868bbf6447925d7c1095f47dc--metallic-yarn-knitted-animals.jpg

Last edited:
According to some sources, the phrase 'to drop a clanger' has its origins in the pasty:

One of the more popular theories about the origin of the expression "drop a clanger" has to do with the British pasty. The pasty is a type of meat pie usually filled with beef, onions and potatoes. The dough is shaped into a circle, filled with the ingredients and then folded into a semi-circle and baked.

Cornish pasties which are similar use shortcrust pastry (pie dough).

There is a step-by-step recipe here originally from 'The Great British Bake Off ' TV series.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/f...t-british-bake-off-2017-forgotten-bakes-week/

I don't know if clangers are made the way they are for the same reason as pasties, or maybe they once were, but when we visited Cornwall we were told that the pasty was made the way it was as it was eaten by tin miners for their lunch.
As there were no wash basins down in the tin mines the miners hands were filthy, so they picked up the pasty by the two corners, ate the middle and then threw away the two dirty corners.

Pasties are my fave, we have a bakery not far from here that make the best. It's run by a Vietnamese guy. Nice guy too.

Russ

I have a friend who lives in Cornwall and her native born neighbour makes pasties with suet pastry.

I live in the next county to Bedfordshire and have never met a Bedfordshire Clanger.

Back
Top Bottom