The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:29 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
img_0962-jpg.jpg

This falls just short of a vegan dish because of the butter in the crust. The butter gives the crust it's beautiful, biscuit-like character, but this is still a tasty recipe without it.

The focus here was supposed to be coconut - and there's no denying that it's prominent - but really, the coconut is an invited guest in the beet's house. Beets tend to do that, but the coconut does get it's day.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb russet potatoes
1 lb beets
1 coconut
1 serrano pepper
1 tablespoon garam masala, divided
2 1⁄2 cups self rising flour
7 tablespoons light butter, cold and cut into pieces
3⁄4 cup water
1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
1 cup coconut water
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
10 curry leaves, diced
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon mustard seeds

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Pierce one of the "eyes" in the coconut.

IMG_0944.JPG

3. Enlarge the hole, and drain coconut water. Retain coconut water for later use.

IMG_0946.JPG

4. Using a meat mallet or clean hammer, break open the coconut shell. Separate the flesh of the coconut from the inside of the shell with a butter knife.

IMG_0948.JPG

5. Use a potato peeler to remove the skin from the coconut flesh.

IMG_0949.JPG

6. Cut coconut flesh into chunks. Use some of the oil to coat the chunks and dust with some of the garam masala and salt. Place in a baking sheet.

7. Cut beets from the stem. Retain the greens if desired. Scrub the skin of the beets. Cut into wedges and set aside. Use some of the oil to coat the wedges and dust with some of the garam masala and salt. Place in a different baking sheet from the coconut.

8. Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Use some of the oil to coat the chunks and dust with some of the garam masala and salt. Place in a different baking sheet from the coconut and beets.

9. Coat pepper with oil and place in one of the baking sheets. Bake coconut, beets, potatoes, and pepper for 30 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through.

IMG_0951.JPG

I could have eaten everything just like this, and I would have been happy. But, there was much more to do.

IMG_0952.JPG

10. Mix together the flour, butter, fenugreek powder, and salt until the dough has a shaggy consistency from the butter chunks.

Sorry that I didn't take many pictures of the dough..

11. Add a little water, until mixture becomes crumbly. Keep adding water, kneading the mixture till it becomes a soft pliable dough.

12. Knead the dough until dry ingredients are fully blended. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes.

I could probably have roasted the coconut for 5 days, and it wouldn't soften up. So, I combined the coconut flesh with coconut water and ground it up in the food processor.

13. Cut roasted coconut chunks into smaller pieces. Place pieces with coconut water from the coconut into a food processor. Pulse until reduced to small pieces.

IMG_0953.JPG

14. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and coriander seeds. Stir fry for 1 minute add saute until light brown.

15. Dice serrano pepper. Add curry leaves, lemon juice, turmeric, peppers, and remaining garam masala to the pan. Stir fry for 2 minutes.

16. Add coconut pieces to the pan and stir fry for 2 minutes. Break potatoes into small pieces, but don't mash them, and add to the pan. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid from beets. Break into small pieces, but don't mash them, and add to the pan. Stir fry for 2 more minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.

IMG_0955.JPG

17. Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Use a rolling pin, roll a piece of dough into a 5" oval, as flat as you can make it. Cut in half.

18. Run a moist finger along the perimeter of each half. Place a tablespoon of the filling into each half

IMG_0956.JPG

19. Fold the dough over to fully cover the filling and press any loose pieces together. Shape each half into a triangle. Repeat for remaining dough and filling.

20. Oil baking sheets, and roll each samosa in the oil to coat all sides.

21. Bake samosas for 30 minutes, ensuring that they aren't touching. If not browned sufficiently, bake for another 10-15 minutes as needed. Remove and place on cooling rack when golden brown.

IMG_0957.JPG

These don't look like the classic samosa triangle shape: I got lazy when putting them together. This is a lot of work! Anyway, they're delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Beautiful and so complex. You have a talent for complex flavor combinations.

You should sign up for the next Chopped Home Cook segment.

You instinctively know how to pair and combine unusual ingredients.

Beautiful and so complex. You have a talent for complex flavor combinations.

You should sign up for the next Chopped Home Cook segment.

You instinctively know how to pair and combine unusual ingredients.
Thank you! I have applied for Cooks vs Cons. But, I think I need to quit procrastinating and finally set up my food blog. This is one of the things they want to know during the application. It's a lot easier for whoever does the screening to look at a whole website full of things than is to guess if someone's really worth the bother just based on a few pictures.

Back
Top Bottom