Coconut Oil

kgord

Veteran
Local time
8:46 PM
Coconut oil seems to be the newest healthy oil being touted as a cure all for everything. Is it worth purchasing? Is it any healthier than olive oil or canola oil? I know I read coconut water is not any better for you than standard water, and doesn't live up to the hype despite what "they" would have you believe!

I'd like to know this also, since coconut oil is more expensive than many other varieties. I'm not sure what the science behind the claims is, nor am I sure that I trust much of the science and health news I hear these days. It seems many of the studies showing health benefits of certain products are supported or conducted by major corporations, which of course encourages those conducting the research to interpret the results favorably for those sponsors.

I would like to try coconut oil though, to see if I notice a difference in taste or texture, and it would be great to reap some additional health benefits if in fact the claims are true.

Last edited:
I would like to try coconut oil though, to see if I notice a difference in taste o
You will definitely notice a taste difference not to mention a smell difference. It unsurprisingly tastes and smells of coconut and so will everything else unless you purchase the even more expensive version that is de-perfumed!

The ordinary coconut oil is cheap but the so called virgin coconut oil is expensive. We normally use the ordinary coconut oil for the hair and scalp treatment. For commercial quantity, the coconut oil is used in manufacturing soap and detergents. This virgin coconut oil is quite new to me although the proponents are making a hype on the curative effects that it is good for the digestive system.

You will definitely notice a taste difference not to mention a smell difference. It unsurprisingly tastes and smells of coconut and so will everything else unless you purchase the even more expensive version that is de-perfumed!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn Ha, I've never heard of a de-perfumed version, and since I'm on a budget, that isn't likely right now. I'm so glad you pointed that out! I do love the scent and taste of coconut, so it might be worth picking some up to try, especially with certain foods. I think it would be a nice oil to use for fried rice, especially if I add some pineapple to the dish.

I had not tried using coconut oil on my cooking but because I am aware of the benefits I put a tablespoon of it on my coffee. Some may not like the taste that is why I will add it to something that has a strong flavor like coffee to mask it. I also use it to moisturize my skin and add luster to my hair. Coconut oil has anti microbial and anti fungal properties.

I love using coconut oil. In my part of Asia we call the coconut tree the tree of life because every part of the tree is used even to the bark and the oil. Coconut oil is a healthier alternative to canola and vegetable but it has a taste that not everyone likes. I like using coconut oil in baking though because it smells really good especially with vanilla.

I almost bought a container of coconut oil because I kept hearing all the wonderful uses for it. Then I read the nutritional label and saw the calorie count and put the container right back on the shelf. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it as a moisturizer or for other non-consumable uses, but I just haven't done so yet.

I have a large tub of coconut oil I purchased at Costco. I mostly use the coconut oil for baking and frying. It adds a coconuty flavour to meats. I have used it as a conditioner in my hair and like body lotion as well. I'm not a huge fan of it but I know it has health benefits but I find it a lot of work to take the coconut oil and melt it and use as a beauty aid. It's easier to cook and bake with it.

I almost bought a container of coconut oil because I kept hearing all the wonderful uses for it. Then I read the nutritional label and saw the calorie count and put the container right back on the shelf. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it as a moisturizer or for other non-consumable uses, but I just haven't done so yet.
Reading the calorie content of any oil is a really good way of putting it back on the shelf. Olive oil for example is something like 100 calories per tablespoon. So now I think 100, 200, 300 when I add any oil to a dish rather than 1, 2, 3 tablespoons. In my mind at least, it helps me remember not to be too generous with the oil!

Yes I too agree, coconut oil is becoming healthy for health. I'd heard that with coconut oil, massaging of body makes skin glow and also makes bones strong.

Coconut oil seems to be the newest healthy oil being touted as a cure all for everything. Is it worth purchasing? Is it any healthier than olive oil or canola oil? I know I read coconut water is not any better for you than standard water, and doesn't live up to the hype despite what "they" would have you believe!
I realise it's recommended for so much including my dogs. I have made a few attempts to pick it up at the health shop but when I saw the price I gently put it back on the shelf. I guess I'll try it but I really want to know if it's as good as it's made out to be. I also keep asking myself if this is the same coconut oil some parents put in the childrens hair when I was a little thing. As I remember things that was something the lowly did,so it must have been very very cheap back then if it's the same thing.

I love coconut oil, and it is definitely beneficial. Here's just one article on the benefits: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009912004001201

As much as I want to say coconut oil is "more healthy" than canola, it really depends on what you are looking for. Coconut oil has the highest saturated fats of all oils, while canola has some of the lowest. Saturated fat is good for you because it really helps with the fluidity of your cell walls, and allowing for toxins/waste to more readily exit your cells. It also helps people with high cholesterol. On the other hand, it is still a lot of fat, so it should be used sparingly... Canola oil is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which has been shown to reduce inflammation throughout the body.

I think having both on hand is not a bad idea. Both are healthy in their separate ways, but if you have to choose just one, choose one based on your own separate health needs.

Back
Top Bottom