Recipe Coconut Zucchini Cupcakes

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:02 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I'm all about healthy eating, which is why I give you these cupcakes that are chock full of zucchini. That's healthy, isn't it? And what about coconut? It's sweet, but it's natural, which only increases the nutritional value. And coconut oil, too...everyone knows how good for you that is, right? There's even fat free yogurt in this recipe. It's practically like eating a carrot!

Okay...there's some chocolate. And sugar....just a bit. Okay, maybe there's a lot. But, look at the healthy part of this recipe when you want to justify having one...or five. Yes...that's frosting that melted onto the plate when I tried to apply it before the cakes were cooled. I won't comment on whether or not I got a big spoon and left the room with the plate after removing the cupcakes.

IMG_0232.JPG

Ingredients (Cupcakes)

3⁄4 cup coconut oil, heated until liquefied
1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
4 cups zucchini, shredded
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped

Ingredients (Frosting)

1⁄2 cup coconut oil, heated until liquefied
2 cups confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 cup coconut flakes

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in center of oven. Use cooking spray to line cupcake pans.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil sugar, eggs, yogurt, zucchini, and vanilla (from the "cupcakes" part of the ingredients).
  3. Using a fine mesh strainer, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir in semisweet chocolate.
  4. Scoop batter into cupcake pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out cleanly. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before adding frosting.
  5. For the Frosting: Using a blender or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, blend remaining coconut oil until it becomes very white and creamy. Add 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk and beat until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients except for coconut flakes and blend on low speed until desired consistency is reached.
  6. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, top with frosting. Sprinkle coconut flakes on the top of each cupcake so it sticks to the frosting.
  7. Store cupcakes in refrigerator (coconut oil tends to liquefy at room temperature, which will make the frosting run). You also may want to hide a few, since they'll go fast!

Back
Top Bottom