Recipe Coffee Bread with Cherries and Raisins

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:35 PM
Recipes for coffee breads are not very common - not anywhere near as common as coffee cake. Perhaps its because (as I discovered) you need to use very strong coffee to impart a coffee flavour. Triple the amount of coffee you normally use in relation to water. A good instant coffee will work fine. I used an 'Italian blend' ground coffee here. Its really surprising how the coffee flavour comes through at 'the end' of each mouthful. Its subtle but distinct and rounded.

As usual my technique for evenly distributing the fruit didn’t work too well! I wish I knew the secret. But I reckon you could make a simple fruit free version which would be just as delicious - or add some chestnuts instead. This is a bread to be eaten with a cup of tea or coffee and is lovely when buttered. Its not over sweet. The quantities given are to fit a small bread tin.

fullsizeoutput_4157.jpeg

Ingredients
100ml very strong coffee (triple strength)
30g sugar
60g raisins
50ml milk (use almond milk for dairy-free)
40g butter (use margarine for dairy-free)
50g glacé cherries, chopped in halves or quarters
200g white bread flour
50g rye flour
5g yeast
1/2 tsp salt
50 g glace cherries, chopped in halves or quarters

Method
  1. Dissolve the sugar in the hot coffee and pour it over the raisins. Leave to soak for at least 30 mins. Drain the raisins reserving the coffee.
  2. Melt the butter or margarine in the milk (I use the microwave) and cool to hand temperature.
  3. Place the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl.
  4. Gradually add the coffee and the milk/butter mixture until the dough is soft and comes together.
  5. Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a floured surface,
  6. Flatten out the dough slightly and gradually add the raisins and chopped cherries, flattening and then folding over the dough as you go.
  7. Form the dough into an oblong to fit your tin. Place in the tin, cover and allow to rise by at least a third.
  8. Bake for 20-25mins at 180 C.

Last edited:
Recipes for coffee breads are not very common - not anywhere near as common as coffee cake. Perhaps its because (as I discovered) you need to use very strong coffee to impart a coffee flavour. Triple the amount of coffee you normally use in relation to water. A good instant coffee will work fine. I used an 'Italian blend' ground coffee here. Its really surprising how the coffee flavour comes through at 'the end' of each mouthful. Its subtle but distinct and rounded.

As usual my technique for evenly distributing the fruit didn’t work too well! I wish I knew the secret. But I reckon you could make a simple fruit free version which would be just as delicious - or add some chestnuts instead. This is a bread to be eaten with a cup of tea or coffee and is lovely when buttered. Its not over sweet. The quantities given are to fit a small bread tin.

View attachment 22311

Ingredients
100ml very strong coffee (triple strength)
30g sugar
60g raisins
50ml milk (use almond milk for dairy-free)
40g butter (use margarine for dairy-free)
50g glacé cherries, chopped in halves or quarters
200g white bread flour
50g rye flour
5g yeast
1/2 tsp salt
50 g glace cherries, chopped in halves or quarters

Method
  1. Dissolve the sugar in the hot coffee and pour it over the raisins. Leave to soak for at least 30 mins. Drain the raisins reserving the coffee.
  2. Melt the butter or margarine in the milk (I use the microwave) and cool to hand temperature.
  3. Place the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl.
  4. Gradually add the coffee and the milk/butter mixture until the dough is soft and comes together.
  5. Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a floured surface,
  6. Flatten out the dough slightly and gradually add the raisins and chopped cherries, flattening and then folding over the dough as you go.
  7. Form the dough into an oblong to fit your tin. Place in the tin, cover and allow to rise by at least a third.
  8. Bake for 20-25mins at 180 C.

It is interesting to soak the raisins in the coffee. Does not it cook too much, making the taste too strong?

Back
Top Bottom