Constance Spry

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
12:50 PM
I can't believe that until yesterday I was totally unaware of this amazing woman. A random encounter with a charity bookstall and a 50p donation found me in possession of a copy of "The Constance Spry Cookery Book". 1235 pages of incredible detailed recipes and cooking skills, a modern day Mrs Beeton if you can call a book published in 1956 "modern day". Incredibly well written (not reliant on pictures) the book guides you through the preparation of thousands of classic, mainly French dishes using elegant prose and fine detail that transports you back to an era when preparation of a meal was the most important task of the day. And she designed the floral displays for the Queen's coronation and founded London's Cordon Bleu Cookery School. So many new recipes to try, celebrating the classic French style of simple dishes of quality ingredients prepared with skill and care.

Last edited:
I can't believe that until yesterday I was totally unaware of this amazing woman. A random encounter with a charity bookstall and a 50p donation found me in possession of a copy of "The Constance Fry Cookery Book". 1235 pages of incredible detailed recipes and cooking skills, a modern day Mrs Beeton if you can call a book published in 1956 "modern day". Incredibly well written (not reliant on pictures) the book guides you through the preparation of thousands of classic, mainly French dishes using elegant prose and fine detail that transports you back to an era when preparation of a meal was the most important task of the day. And she designed the floral displays for the Queen's coronation and founded London's Cordon Bleu Cookery School. So many new recipes to try, celebrating the classic French style of simple dishes of quality ingredients prepared with skill and care.
Do you mean Constance Spry? I've heard of her!

I've just ordered a copy of the Constance Spry Cookery Book from Amazon. We can compare notes! It might be fun to try out some of the recipes and post them here. I bet she doesn't do many recipes with chillies involved though...

Don't want to shatter your illusions but I suspect that Rosemary Hume might have been the main source of the recipes. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Hume. I think that Spry had an eye for the main chance and saw the opportunity for a cookery book. She could write clearly (having been in education). But I suspect she might not be the real cook behind the book! Difficult to say. Must find more out about Rosemary Hume.

Its also worth bearing in mind that the publication of Spry's book was roughly contemporary with the ground breaking Elizabeth David who older generation foodies (like me) know very well! I'm assuming that you do too, even if you are not as old...?

Neither Amazon nor Ebay (nor many other online "shops") normally deliver to Thailand so I am reduced to downloading illegal ebooks and this one does not exist AFAIK.

[Edit: I've just checked and they will deliver this particular item to Thailand, but I would need to purchase the hardback to qualify for free shipping. I shall await your findings/recommendations.]

Last edited:
Don't want to shatter your illusions but I suspect that Rosemary Hume might have been the main source of the recipes. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Hume. I think that Spry had an eye for the main chance and saw the opportunity for a cookery book. She could write clearly (having been in education). But I suspect she might not be the real cook behind the book! Difficult to say. Must find more out about Rosemary Hume.

Its also worth bearing in mind that the publication of Spry's book was roughly contemporary with the ground breaking Elizabeth David who older generation foodies (like me) know very well! I'm assuming that you do too, even if you are not as old...?

She pretty much admits to this in the books Introduction. I think her involvement grew from her days during the war, educating women on making the most out of what food ingredients were available.

We do have an Elizabeth David recipe book somewhere, maybe time to dig it out.

She pretty much admits to this in the books Introduction. I think her involvement grew from her days during the war, educating women on making the most out of what food ingredients were available.

We do have an Elizabeth David recipe book somewhere, maybe time to dig it out.
Yes. I've got some Elizabeth David too. Good stuff. - although, as I've said elsewhere I've begun to find French food a bit unadventurous in my old age!

Back
Top Bottom