Convenience Stores

Local time
10:34 PM
Is there a convenience store near you? I just love convenience stores. Years ago, there was a convenience store just across the road from where I live. If there was an item of necessity that I forgot to purchase at the grocery store, I could always run across to this convenience store and buy the item. These convenience stores stock items that we always like to have on hand, like toiletries, over-the-counter medications, tin stuff, bread and biscuits, sugar, salt, and drinks. A few years ago, the store was moved from near me and another business set up there. I was really sorry that this store had to be moved, but I guess there was a reason for relocating it.

The only difference with these convenience stores is that the price of most of the items sold there, are usually higher than what one would pay at the supermarket.

What do you think of convenience stores, and do you shop at them often?

Reactions: L_B
I live in a very rural part of west wales. We don't have any local convenience stores at all as the population is too small to warrant one. When I lived in Birmingham local convenience stores were / are everywhere.

There is a 'corner shop' in my road which is a type of convenience store but more of a newsagent/sweetshop which also sells some basic supplies: milk, eggs, berad, tins of things. But opposite that is an Aldi (discount supermarket) which sells all the basics and more. So I'm very well provided for!

Last edited:
I only go to the convenience store, particularly 7-11, when I need an item that cannot wait. But for several items to buy like soda and bread, I tend to proceed to the nearest supermarket. Since the beginning, I have already noticed the high prices of items in the convenience stores. The most that I buy in convenience stores is ice, their tube ice is great. But I notice that the young crowd are there in the convenience store to eat ice cream or snack food. They like it in lieu of fastfood sandwiches.

Ahh, Japan is PARADISE for convenience stores, seriously. One of the reasons I've loved living here so much is because their convenience stores really are amazing. The food is fresh and delicious there, too! There's a few different "main" convenience store chains here - 7-11, Family Mart and Lawsons are the three main ones. You can get delicious onigiri (rice balls with different fillings), fresh sandwiches, delicious ice creams and drinks - the list goes on!

In my area we do have 7-11 as the convenient store, there is not one close to me which is not a problem because I have a large chair grocery store within walking distance of me. I only go to 7-11 to get a cup of coffee, I like 7-11 coffee better than Starbucks coffee when I get coffee out.

We have lots of convenience stores where I live. They are on every corner. I live close to all the department stores and supermarkets but I do go to the convenience store by my place quite often. Even though the things tend to be more expensive I really don't mind because I like supporting the small, local businesses. It is a great little store and the people who run it are very friendly.

There is one across the street from me. When it was talked about several years ago the people in the community fought to keep it out as they felt it would attract a deviant crowd. They fought and lost and sure enough it's a block of sorts for some unemployed guys but I think most people like the convenience of a mini mart in the area. I suspect they might be some mice around but thank God they don't show up when I'm around.

It seems to be more of trend now in the UK for popular corner shops to be bought out by tesco express or co op local or get pushed out by their popularity and buying power ,even our village shop is a londis now!
The times of simple three generation corner shop owners has hit fragile times

It seems to be more of trend now in the UK for popular corner shops to be bought out by tesco express or co op local or get pushed out by their popularity and buying power ,even our village shop is a londis now!
The times of simple three generation corner shop owners has hit fragile times
Relative was informed, when the dairy opened their shop next door, he'd be forced out. The same with the two petrol stations when they opened shops, one opening a supermarket. He beat the lot.
What closed him down, was what comes to us all.

Relative was informed, when the dairy opened their shop next door, he'd be forced out. The same with the two petrol stations when they opened shops, one opening a supermarket. He beat the lot.
What closed him down, was what comes to us all.
Tesco seems to be finding a use for failed local pubs,and sticking a metro in there ,changing times I'm afraid ,petrol stations around here are all going the same way spa,budgens,marks and Spencer's even waitrose we seem to be buying more food in this way ,

Tesco seems to be finding a use for failed local pubs,and sticking a metro in there ,changing times I'm afraid ,petrol stations around here are all going the same way spa,budgens,marks and Spencer's even waitrose we seem to be buying more food in this way ,
Closing one near me, petrol station. Not enough customers

Relative saw the supermarkets come & go. Spar were there and still are, albeit in new premises.

Here in our place we are surrounded by many convenience stores opens 24 hours a day. In the establishment we are living there are 5 convenience stores near our place in every corner. We had two 7Eleven, two GS25 and one Mini Stop. These three convenience stores are the popular here in our place. Sometimes if I need something to buy that is needed at once I just go out and buy in this stores. Although like what they said here the cost of prices is higher compared to the supermarket and grocery stores. But in some ways they are also helpful.

I love convenience stores, but they don't usually have things that we need that we have forgotten at the actual grocery store. They're pretty limited.

Back
Top Bottom