Cookalong?

Yes, I have a Walmart but Cous-Cous is still not cheap there. It is at least 10 times the price of other grains. And I am not going to spend $5 on an unknown ingredient.

Ok I understand and guess that semolina is expensive too where you are. But lets get back on topic. This thread is about a recipe we can 'Cookalong' to. So far we have two suggested dishes:
  • Coq au Vin
  • Stuffed Chicken Ballotines
Any more suggestion?

Last edited:
Ratatouille, seafood marinara or fra diavolo, buckytom's pork chop brine, lasagna, tofu stir fry.

fra diavolo
Ratatouille - why not? I make it a lot.
Seafood Marinara - good in my book.
Fra Diavolo - I'm not familiar with this but google says its a seafood sauce - not a whole dish?
Lasagna - too generic perhaps? But on the other hand it could be interesting.
Tofu stir fry - a very wide brief.
Did I miss one... :laugh:

Fra diavolo is just a marinara with lots of garlic and hot pepper (dried pepperoncino). It's usually served with/ over pasta.

That way you make the sauce with your seafood, and you can also make your own pasta. Just a thought.

Fra diavolo is just a marinara with lots of garlic and hot pepper (dried pepperoncino). It's usually served with/ over pasta.

That way you make the sauce with your seafood, and you can also make your own pasta. Just a thought.

OK - I see you mean seafood with either sauce. Whatever we decide, I think we need a specific starting recipe to be posted. Otherwise it will just be chaotic and turn into another challenge rather than a sharing thing.... if you see what I mean.

I love soups. Chowders, barley, bean, pea, mushroom, stone... There's a lot of room to work with.

Now, if we could just come up with a pork chop recipe.:bravo:

Ah, the problems of design by committee and the camels it tends to make. It seems clear that a recipe that is all inclusive is unlikely to be found. The original vision – if I understood it correctly Morning Glory – was just to see the different interpretations people put on a specific dish and the cross fertilisation of ideas that might come from that. I think it is an idea that might just begin to work better as it starts to gel in people’s minds from the first few attempts. So, let’s just see if we can get this up to take-off velocity and pick a recipe. Perhaps everyone should nominate just one recipe idea and we’ll see if there is a prevailing mood for which one of those nominations to start with – accepting that some may not be motivated to participate in the first one, for one reason or another. Of the ideas suggested so far, the chicken ballotine is the one that appealed to me – and clearly leaves quite a bit of scope for people to choose what they put in the stuffing. Also, I have had a look and there are some recipes to found on the web for chicken ballotine. Ah but now I’m just contributing to the committee cacophony…

Ah, the problems of design by committee and the camels it tends to make. It seems clear that a recipe that is all inclusive is unlikely to be found. The original vision – if I understood it correctly Morning Glory – was just to see the different interpretations people put on a specific dish and the cross fertilisation of ideas that might come from that. I think it is an idea that might just begin to work better as it starts to gel in people’s minds from the first few attempts. So, let’s just see if we can get this up to take-off velocity and pick a recipe. Perhaps everyone should nominate just one recipe idea and we’ll see if there is a prevailing mood for which one of those nominations to start with – accepting that some may not be motivated to participate in the first one, for one reason or another. Of the ideas suggested so far, the chicken ballotine is the one that appealed to me – and clearly leaves quite a bit of scope for people to choose what they put in the stuffing. Also, I have had a look and there are some recipes to found on the web for chicken ballotine. Ah but now I’m just contributing to the committee cacophony…

I can add a poll to the top of this thread with a choice of recipes for people to vote on. Although polls don't tend to get a very good response (with the odd exception). I will wait until after the Easter weekend to see if we get more suggestions. I'd obviously be happy with a chicken ballotine - as I suggested it! They are easier to make than one might think and I suspect that not many here have tried to make one - so it could be a learning experience for some. And as you say, any filling can be used. Everyone should be able to get the ingredients. Same goes for Coq au Vin really.

Last edited:
I can add a poll to the top of this thread with a choice of recipes for people to vote on. Although polls don't tend to get a very good response (with the odd exception). I will wait until after the Easter weekend to see if we get more suggestions. I'd obviously be happy with a chicken ballotine - as I suggested it! They are easier to make than one might think and I suspect that not many here have tried to make one - so it could be a learning experience for some. And as you say, any filling can be used. Everyone should be able to get the ingredients. Same goes for Coq au Vin really.
Only one problem with Coq au Vin, not everyone here does wine.

I think a regular staple dish would be good to start with - lasagne, coq au vin, chilli, steak and chips whatever. Would be interesting to see other people's twists on meals we cook regularly before moving on to proper challenges.

Yes, we don't drink very often. But for a singular dish I might be able to come up with a bottle of wine, especially after a holiday. Or, I can always fudge it with other ingredients if need be. It won't ecactly be "au vin", but that's part of the idea of everyone trying out a recipe with their own tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom