Cookalong?

It won't ecactly be "au vin", but that's part of the idea of everyone trying out a recipe with their own tweaks.
Personally (shoot me down) I think calling a dish coq au vin and leaving out the 'vin' is going too far. It simply wouldn't be coq au vin...

Only one problem with Coq au Vin, not everyone here does wine.
The amount of alcohol which ends up in the finished dish is tiny and isn't going to push anyone off the wagon or even encourage them to drink if they never have. Cooked wine is entirely different from wine in a glass. A trifle containing sherry is another matter! :laugh:

I know you aren't intending to be insensitive, but even a tiny amount of alcohol is too much for some. For alcoholics, or people with health issues, especially liver problems, or those who take medicines that cannot be combined with alcohol.

There is always non-alcoholic cooking wine for those folks.

I know you aren't intending to be insensitive, but even a tiny amount of alcohol is too much for some. For alcoholics, or people with health issues, especially liver problems, or those who take medicines that cannot be combined with alcohol.

There is always non-alcoholic cooking wine for those folks.

OK. Sorry. Point accepted. Non-alcoholic wine would be an acceptable substitute - then it could legitimately be called Coq au Vin!

Personally (shoot me down) I think calling a dish coq au vin and leaving out the 'vin' is going too far. It simply wouldn't be coq au vin...

The amount of alcohol which ends up in the finished dish is tiny and isn't going to push anyone off the wagon or even encourage them to drink if they never have. Cooked wine is entirely different from wine in a glass. A trifle containing sherry is another matter! :laugh:
Hey, yes one little taste can cause some people to fall off the wagon. Don't ever tell a recovering alcoholic that one little sip won't hurt. It can very freaking easily make them want more. Lost too dang many relatives to the bottle.
This is not going to sound nice and I hope I am wrong but that comment struck me as someone who needs to justify using alcohol because they are in denial about how much they drink.
What the heck is a non-drinker supposed to do with the rest of the alcohol.?

Actually, in my case it is more some wines make me sick to my stomach.

Other reason would be some religions strictly forbid the use of all alcohol. As my former Baptist youth minister quoted often, if you drink you will go to h e l l.

This is not going to sound nice and I hope I am wrong but that comment struck me as someone who needs to justify using alcohol because they are in denial about how much they drink.
What the heck is a non-drinker supposed to do with the rest of the alcohol.?

To cook Coq au vin for 4, uses maybe about a half bottle of wine. I keep 'screw top' wine to cook with and the other half will keep for several weeks (in my experience) and be used in other dishes. I use it in tomato based based pasta sauces or other meat dishes such as a beef stew. I never suggested Coq au Vin in the first place! :laugh:
P.S. Are you saying I'm an alcoholic...hic... :cheers: :D. Surely not...

Don't worry, I understand that some can't do alcohol. No problem.

Or, for a fun time, buy a mother and turn leftover wine into vinegar.

Just make sure there are no people around you who make wine or beer. They really frown on that.

To cook Coq au vin for 4, uses maybe about a half bottle of wine. I keep 'screw top' wine to cook with and the other half will keep for several weeks (in my experience) and be used in other dishes. I use it in tomato based based pasta sauces or other meat dishes such as a beef stew. I never suggested Coq au Vin in the first place! :laugh:
P.S. Are you saying I'm an alcoholic...hic... :cheers: :D. Surely not...

Don't worry, I understand that some can't do alcohol. No problem.
No, I'm not saying you are an alcoholic.
It is just I have dealt with so many "social" drinkers that it gets annoying.
"Oh come on drink with me. One drink won't hurt you." Or they start trying to bully you.
Though I have to admit the last time that happened, I inadvertently insulted the two pushy ones.
They bought me a low end drink. It was supposed to be a tequila sunrise. It was cheap tequila (as in the cheapest on the market) and that horrid cheap orange juice in a can, and no grenadine.
I made a comment about I don't do cheap booze. They took it to mean I thought they were cheap drunks.

Back on topic I hope. :happy: Lets have a few more suggestions for classic recipes for the 'cookalong'. At the moment 'coq au vin' is getting the most attention... and (although I didn't suggest it) has my vote.

There is something quite appealing about a cookalong based on a regular, weekday meal that most people cook. I think it takes out the unknown element of cooking a recipe for the first time, and allows technique and quality of ingredients to come to the fore. Even with the simplest of dishes it is interesting to learn tweaks from other people. For instance, for years I prided myself on my creamy mashed potatoes, then in a casual conversation one day someone mentioned beating in a raw egg after mashing. A simple tweak to the most basic of dishes, but I have benefited from it ever since. I'm sure all of us have developed our own twists or secret added ingredients to staple dishes.

There is something quite appealing about a cookalong based on a regular, weekday meal that most people cook.
Is there such a thing? I used to think choosing ingredients for the Recipe Challenge was straightforward but I've lost count of the times people have not entered because they couldn't obtain an ingredient that I regarded as 'everyday'. :ohmy:

We would seem to have run out of runway and finished nose down in the mere. Any point in towing it back up the other end of the runway and having another go?

Back
Top Bottom