Cookbook with a twist

Local time
8:00 AM
This Saturday I went to a literary festival, and specifically to attend a talk by a food blogger who wrote a cookbook on the back of her blog last year. Her name is Kate Young and her blog is about recreating meals from novels that she's read - from classics to modern literature. I find this such a simple idea but one where you think to yourself 'How has no one done this earlier??'

Anyways, she read a few paragraphs of her book, The Little Library Cookbook, and it was so skillfully written as well - it's a mixture between memoir of her life, touching on universal topics like being home sick but learning to build a home for yourself wherever you might go (which really resonated with me), and a recipe book that enables you to literally take reading a novel one step further (like 3D reading I guess :laugh:)

Apart from highly recommending this book, if you haven't read it, I wanted to see whether you have come across other ones that have something special about them, beyond great recipes and pretty pictures?

I often give cookbooks as gifts to friends who are as passionate about food as I am, but decided I should be a bit more creative for Christmas this year!

That sounds like a 'novel' way of writing a cookbook - sorry about the pun! How does she develop the recipes though? I mean, unless the book specifically mentions food. If not then is it just impressionistic and improvised based on the 'flavour' of the book? Sorry - another pun. :)

I'll have a look for the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

That sounds like a 'novel' way of writing a cookbook - sorry about the pun! How does she develop the recipes though? I mean, unless the book specifically mentions food. If not then is it just impressionistic and improvised based on the 'flavour' of the book? Sorry - another pun. :)

I'll have a look for the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

That's a good point, I haven't given much thought to be fair. I believe she tries to stick to the detail provided in the book as much as possible, and then fill in the gaps. However, since I hadn't read her blog, nor the book before I went to the event, I didn't think to ask :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom