Cookbook with a twist

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by Cherry Kirschenbaum, Nov 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cherry Kirschenbaum

Cherry Kirschenbaum Regular Member

This Saturday I went to a literary festival, and specifically to attend a talk by a food blogger who wrote a cookbook on the back of her blog last year. Her name is Kate Young and her blog is about recreating meals from novels that she's read - from classics to modern literature. I find this such a simple idea but one where you think to yourself 'How has no one done this earlier??'

Anyways, she read a few paragraphs of her book, The Little Library Cookbook, and it was so skillfully written as well - it's a mixture between memoir of her life, touching on universal topics like being home sick but learning to build a home for yourself wherever you might go (which really resonated with me), and a recipe book that enables you to literally take reading a novel one step further (like 3D reading I guess :laugh:)

Apart from highly recommending this book, if you haven't read it, I wanted to see whether you have come across other ones that have something special about them, beyond great recipes and pretty pictures?

I often give cookbooks as gifts to friends who are as passionate about food as I am, but decided I should be a bit more creative for Christmas this year!

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

That sounds like a 'novel' way of writing a cookbook - sorry about the pun! How does she develop the recipes though? I mean, unless the book specifically mentions food. If not then is it just impressionistic and improvised based on the 'flavour' of the book? Sorry - another pun. :)

I'll have a look for the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

3. Cherry Kirschenbaum

That's a good point, I haven't given much thought to be fair. I believe she tries to stick to the detail provided in the book as much as possible, and then fill in the gaps. However, since I hadn't read her blog, nor the book before I went to the event, I didn't think to ask :unsure:

4. morning glory

For anyone curious the blog is here: http://thelittlelibrarycafe.com. What she seems to be doing is riffing off the mentions of food or meals in the books. Great fun!

5. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I got a few retro cookbooks from the '70s plus a new Betty Crocker cookbook. Love some of the old recipes in them!! :wink:

Cherry Kirschenbaum likes this.
  6. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

Please dig some up and post them here...I'd love to try them!

7. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Alright, when I find a recipe in one of them & like it, I'll post it. :wink:

8. Cherry Kirschenbaum

Anything you'd recommend for a Christmas present @Shermie ? I love retro cookbooks too, I might make myself a present :D

9. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I've been wanting to make a fruit cake for Christmas. :wink:

Cherry Kirschenbaum likes this.
  10. morning glory

Do you mean you are going to make a fruit cake recipe from one of your retro cookery books?

Shermie likes this.
  11. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Quite possibly. :wink: