Cooking for Children

snagy1115

Über Member
Local time
6:16 AM
This article may come in handy for you parents. I have children of my own so I thought I would share some thoughts with you.

The good news when cooking for children is that you do not necessarily need to incorporate all the important nutrients into dinner food. The truth of the matter is that raw cucumbers, which are thinly sliced and sprinkled with salt make a much healthier snack than potato chips and many little ones love this for a snack. You get a vegetable in their system and they are getting a treat at snack time. The same holds true for melon and cantaloupes. These make excellent snacks and are a much-needed fruit in these important diets for little ones.

Cooking healthier meals for kids is now easier than ever before. Fresh fruits and vegetables are best whenever possible. However, if you cannot manage fresh, you should avoid canned (fruits especially as they are often swimming in sugary sweetness) whenever possible. Frozen is far preferable to canned when it comes to both fruit and vegetables, as there are often fewer additives.

Encourage your children to try new things rather than cooking the same few meals over and over again that you know they are likely to eat. This prevents two things from happening. First of all, it helps you not to get bored when cooking for your children. Second, it allows your children to try new flavors and textures and form opinions about them. By trying new things they will learn not only about the things they dislike but also the foods they really enjoy.

Perhaps the greatest gift you can give yourself (much greater than the help in the kitchen) by ‘forcing’ your little ones to help prepare dinner is that they will learn to better appreciate your culinary efforts and eat peacefully rather than sullenly. This tactic has met with great success in my household when cooking for little ones.

Source:http://www.streetdirectory.com/food_editorials/cooking/cooking_tips/cooking_for_your_children.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Although our kids (now 36) were never offered "take it or leave it" for supper, I don't remember ever having to dance around their taste buds. After they were off baby foods, they pretty much got the same thing we did for supper. If I made something new, they had to take a couple tiny bites just to make sure they didn't like it. As they got older and developed a very few dislikes, I made sure I would make leftovers of something I knew they liked as back-up for when I made a meal one of them didn't care for. At dinnertime, they knew they could take their entree from the fridge and heat it up so that they could sit and enjoy supper with the rest of us.

As of right now, there are very few foods that our kids will turn their noses up at...although both our daughter and I just can't figure out how "the boy" can enjoy kimchee so much he makes it himself over and over and over and over...

I am always making things for my kids that they don't know about. I actually don't tell them what it is tell they try it. Sometimes I tell them it is something they like it only looks different to get them to get try it. Since I have a huge range of what I will eat I always have cravings. I will even make something for the first time without the kids in the kitchen so they don't know what is in it. Then after they like something then I will let them help me cook. My oldest who is almost 12 is learning how to cook with me. My middle one gets to start in a few months.

Oh, geez, I'm glad I read through.

I first read the title as Cooking Four Children.
toserveman.jpg

...My oldest who is almost 12 is learning how to cook with me. My middle one gets to start in a few months.
How old are your middle and youngest? I say get them all in the kitchen to learn, too. It's never really to early to start. By the time I was 12, I was making our Friday suppers because my Mom worked till 9:00 PM that night. In the beginning she would have the meat ready to go into the oven, but I had to fix everything else. Since I didn't drink coffee then, my poor Dad and aunt (who lived with us) had to wait for it or make it themselves the first month. ~ Flash forward, and our son was at my side on his little step stool when he was four or five helping me. Took his twin sister years before she let me drag her to the kitchen to cook, though. They're both very capable cooks today, at least.

I'd like to expand on the cooking thread that expounds on the importance of teaching our children the basics of cooking.. We need to teach our kids other things besides cooking. We need to teach them how to prevent injury, to defend themselves, rope skills, how to maintain their homes as in basic plumbing, wiring, safe use of gas/electric appliances, etc.

For what it's worth, here is what I did with my own children, and how it helped them.
1. Loved and played with them from the time they were born - taught them that they are important, and gave them self confidence, and feeling of safety and joy
2. Assisted them in learning to crawl, and later, to walk. - helped them learn, and gave them a bit of a headstart in exploring their world
3. Taught them what hot meant through experience - Held their little hands in mine, from the time they could craw, close to hot charcoal. When it became uncomfortable to them, I pulled away and said, Hot!. I did that three times, and whenever I said to them the word hot, they new it was not to be touched. I never said that anything was hot that wasn't.
4. Taught them falling techniques - Wen my eldest son was two years of age, he fell lout of a 2nd story window on aun-baked clay, and rocks. He was unhurt except for a few abrasions on his forearms. The doctor who saw him stated that the techniques i had taught him, save him from injury, and maybe death.
5. read to them at an early age - taught them the joy of reading, whether ti was fiction, or non-fiction.
6. Sang to them at an early age - cmforted them, and gave them a love for music
7. created our own "Fractured Fairy Tails" form the classics they learned from me reading to them.- helped to develoop creative thinking skills.
8. Played pretend games that required imagination, and activity - helped keep me in shape, them in shape, and allowed us to develop very close bonds.
9. played with them, first in the bathtub, getting them used to water, and water in their face - helped erase their fear of water, and opened the door for more water training.
10. swam in a pool, with them on my back, often, underewater - further got them used to the water, and to the idea of swimming
11. Taught them various swimiing strokes. - built thier confidence in the water.
12. taught them rope skills, i.e. proper knots and what they are used for, lashing techniques, how to whip the end of a rope to keep it from fraying, etc. - they can build a chair, or even a tower out of sticks, saplings, and rope. They know which knots to use for most situations, whether it be to ti different size fishing lines otgether, or to create a bowline for rescuing someone, or knowts that will allow them to rapell down a steep hill, etc.
13 how to safely enter and exit a canoe, choose prpper and effective life jackets, remove the water from a swamped canoe in deep water, then righti the empty canoe and climb back in. - Keeps them from drowning, or being stranded in deep water.
14, how to start and maintain a safe fire.- stay warm, cook food, not burn down the forest
15. How to build emergency shelters from pine boughs, snow, sticks, and tarps. - life saver technique to stay warm and protect against critters.
16. How to pitch, and secure a tent - ever try to pitch a tent on a sandy beach, and watch the wind pull the tent stakes right out of the ground so that your tent gets blown away. This won't happen if you know the correct techniques for anchoring your tent.

And as they grew older, how to ride/drive vehicles with 2, three, and four wheels, and tracks (snowmobiles)
Somewhere in there, at about age four, they started learning basic food prep, and knife skills.

The list goes on, but you get the idea. Where I live, you can easily get caught in a blizzard that can leave you stranded where no one can get to you, and cell phone reception is either non-existent, or sketchy. at best. People have died in such conditions, frozen to death because they didn't know that the car is made mostly of metal and will easily transfer your body heat to the outside. Snow is a great insulator, and on the coldest days, if made properly, a snow shelter will warm to 45, to 55 degrees from just your radiated body heat. It may not be what most people consider warm, but it's a lot warmer that the -10 degree F. temperatures outside of the shelter. Put a couple of candles in there for light, and the temps soar into the 60's.

i believe it is our responsability to lear how to survive under emergency conditions, to take math classes that will give us problem solving skills through lab work, field trips, and just plane problem solving, such as math. These are brain push-ups that will help us find solutions when our environment gives us complex challenges that we have to deal with. And I'm gonna say it, as it has given me answers, sometimes immediately to difficult problems that needed to be solved, and that is prayer.

Lastly, the most valuable lesson we can give our children, and those around us, is our good example. I used to detest the saying that was so popular among adults when I was a child - do as I say, not as I do. I still detest the concept. My mantra is - I need to set the example, whether it be using proper technique in the kitchen, or casting a fly onto the water, driving safely, or treating others with respect.. Our children watch every move we make, and try to imitate us. Then they rebel to some extent, large or small, as they begin their teen years. But the paths they choose, and the quality of their lives depends much on what kind of parents we are. I gave my children a challenge - "I gave you a better home than I, or my wife enjoyed growing up. Now it's your responsibility to do the same for your home, family, and children. So far, so good.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home.

How old are your middle and youngest? I say get them all in the kitchen to learn, too. It's never really to early to start. By the time I was 12, I was making our Friday suppers because my Mom worked till 9:00 PM that night. In the beginning she would have the meat ready to go into the oven, but I had to fix everything else. Since I didn't drink coffee then, my poor Dad and aunt (who lived with us) had to wait for it or make it themselves the first month. ~ Flash forward, and our son was at my side on his little step stool when he was four or five helping me. Took his twin sister years before she let me drag her to the kitchen to cook, though. They're both very capable cooks today, at least.

My oldest is 11. My middle is 7. My youngest is 4. I let the middle and youngest help with baking cooking and cakes. But when it comes to the stove top I till they can stand over top and not have their arms rest on the stove. Having been cooking in a kitchen so long I know the smallest of things can change into something bug in a heart beat. I just like to wait till I know that no chairs are required at the stove before they start to learn.

I'd like to expand on the cooking thread that expounds on the importance of teaching our children the basics of cooking.. We need to teach our kids other things besides cooking. We need to teach them how to prevent injury, to defend themselves, rope skills, how to maintain their homes as in basic plumbing, wiring, safe use of gas/electric appliances, etc.

Yes I will agree with you there. Teaching safety is important too. My arms have scares from burns and cuts. They are covered from the many years in a kitchen. They are always a good story to tell people however to see your kids with them so early in life would be heart breaking.

Yes I will agree with you there. Teaching safety is important too. My arms have scares from burns and cuts. They are covered from the many years in a kitchen. They are always a good story to tell people however to see your kids with them so early in life would be heart breaking.

I too have had scars from burns. Mostly from oven shelves. Stupid! In my experience, young children are not as sensible as dogs when it comes to heat sources. My dog can't resist the aroma of chicken cooking. But if I open the oven he backs away quickly. And if I put hot chicken on a plate for him he knows not to eat it straight away. Perhaps us humans have lost some basic instincts...

..But when it comes to the stove top I till they can stand over top and not have their arms rest on the stove...I just like to wait till I know that no chairs are required at the stove before they start to learn.
Perfectly understandable, @snagy1115. When our son was helping me at age five, he was still on a small step-stool and helping on at the counter only. With electric stoves, all the controls were all the way on the top of the back, so it was Mom's job to command the stove.

BTW, arms aren't the only things that can get burned. My Mom had a double oven, a large compartment on the bottom under the cooking surface, and a smaller compartment at the top of the stove. Since she and her 5' stature had trouble reaching into the top oven, her sister-in-law suggested she pull the shelf out before taking anything from the oven. She tried that - once. Turns out it was easy to burn a line across your forehead that way...:eek:

My oldest is 11. My middle is 7. My youngest is 4. I let the middle and youngest help with baking cooking and cakes. But when it comes to the stove top I till they can stand over top and not have their arms rest on the stove. Having been cooking in a kitchen so long I know the smallest of things can change into something bug in a heart beat. I just like to wait till I know that no chairs are required at the stove before they start to learn.
So they help but not where they can get seriously injured. That is cool.
They could make cream cheese mints by themselves.
A stick of butter or margarine, a block of cream cheese, a bag of powdered sugar, peppermint extract (adult might want to add that) and some food coloring.
Shape into balls, mash with a fork, let dry about an hour. Then eat.
Butter and cream cheese are softened.
Be ready to clean up powdered sugar.

So they help but not where they can get seriously injured. That is cool.
They could make cream cheese mints by themselves.
A stick of butter or margarine, a block of cream cheese, a bag of powdered sugar, peppermint extract (adult might want to add that) and some food coloring.
Shape into balls, mash with a fork, let dry about an hour. Then eat.
Butter and cream cheese are softened.
Be ready to clean up powdered sugar.

Why are a most kiddy recipes so sweet? This is not a criticism of your post @Cinisajoy. But it does seems as if we train kids into liking sweet stuff by introducing very sweet things as their first steps into cooking. Why not something savoury and 'healthier'?

Why are a most kiddy recipes so sweet? This is not a criticism of your post @Cinisajoy. But it does seems as if we train kids into liking sweet stuff by introducing very sweet things as their first steps into cooking. Why not something savoury and 'healthier'?
That could be a challenge in itself. Find kid friendly recipes that are not sweet.
Though the last time I made those mints, they were for a party and the adults ate way more of them than the kids did.
One kid did help make them.

Back
Top Bottom