1:29 AM
Last evenings moonrise:
0E8A112A-8BD3-460B-AA72-9FF1667FAD97.jpeg
130A1F7D-1CBE-4D48-A39E-35D4C6771DEC.jpeg

We encounter wild burros in the desert:

5B61AC5C-15F9-4DDC-9FFB-F91001CAD127.jpeg

Wife tending to a wild Burros cut:
F81B8F68-3C18-427C-A314-79E743994B11.jpeg

Police and Law enforcement Depts from around the world come here annually for their Baker Ca. to Las Vegas Nv. foot relay run. Always around the first of spring.

This upcoming is the weekend they run it and my friends and I show up and cheer them on.

We’re camped on the Devils Anvil. A Playa located South of the Funeral Mountains, Southwest of Dante’s Well, West of Satans Bonfire.
Sounds like a swell place to camp huh!

It was 93f yesterday, 29f last night, should be mild and in the 60’s for the Law Enforcement ( LEO ) relay run.

I cook Tri Tip beef dip sandwiches for every one in our camping group one day.

A little info about “Tri Tip:”

Tri Tip is a cut of Sirloin that I think, or more accurately I’m told originally started in Santa Maria Calif. That is the “cut” and name. Most likely called something else in other regions of course.

The Elks fraternal organization pretty much started the weekly Tri tip BBQ to raise money for a local charity. It’s huge.
It’s how I Iearned to do it right.

The BBQ crew is all volunteers and you work your way up starting as 5th knife trimming the meat. Then you work your way through the knifes to 4th, then 3rd and in time become a grill man or cook the beans.
Their is a long waiting list of volunteers to start out as 5th knife.

The meat trimmings we take home and feed the dogs. I often gave the wife 200 lbs of trimmings and she delivered it to a big cat rescue she’s involved with.

Ok back to Death Valley:

As we start cooking over the next few day I’ll show you a few simple, easy tricks that make Recreation Vehicle cooking really tasty and popular.
Hammers of Hell Chili and Aunt Lynn’s cornbread too.

Be back soon,,

Last edited:
We can get what is called tri-tip pacata. I recently (couple years ago) discovered beef knuckle and another cut which I can't remember. I did the knuckle on the rotisserie over charcoal and it was the best roast beef I've ever had.

466DD905-ED1B-48A7-AF33-BF91901CA823.jpeg

Slice against the grain is essential otherwise you’ll get some really tough slices.
BB172FD8-A91D-4D87-89A6-408134794258.jpeg
CA501012-28F6-4D4C-9520-2203C745BA47.jpeg

Soak the slices for an hour, dump out the water then soak for 15 minutes more:

6DA603C7-F557-4253-89BD-5871983D7267.jpeg

I use two cans concentrated beef broth, a packet of jus mix, 1 tablespoon Spike and pepper:
80EFDB94-D64F-4FD5-8BD2-33C686E5CAC8.jpeg

Drain the meat and brown in your smoker until it med rare or broil or grill on the flat top.
Then everything into the crock pot and cook on low at least 2 hours.

2C5B10AC-181A-4292-8992-F882A3C710EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Gotta luv a cut of meat shaped like a boomerang. lol Tri Tip is popular in California. However, Mark Bittman (new York times) also makes a tri tip dish w tomato-y Romesco sauce. Different from the popular Santa Maria-style dish. Sounds tasty though.

Look at that. The animals come right up to the window. Great pics.

Gotta luv a cut of meat shaped like a boomerang. lol Tri Tip is popular in California. However, Mark Bittman (new York times) also makes a tri tip dish w tomato-y Romesco sauce. Different from the popular Santa Maria-style dish. Sounds tasty though.

Look at that. The animals come right up to the window. Great pics.

In Mexico they cover the meat with mustard then roll it in margarita / kosher salt and slow cook them.

I slice, then soak, then cook, then marinate with Kikoman Green bottle Teri sauce and finish in the slow cooker for two hours on low.
Friends think I’m a genius, well my dumb friends do.

DE576E2A-4676-4928-90D4-F4389D6CFFBE.jpeg

Kristin’s cornbread.

Kristin is a bartender at a dangerous bar (if MU looses) I watch football at and she loves this Aunt Lynn concocted recipe, hence the name.
Simple, cheap and easy. Everyone loves it.

Three or four boxes of the cheap-o jiffy corn bread (or any boxed corn bread) and then almost fill one of the boxes with yellow cake mix to measure. 25% yellow cake mix is the right measure. Blend together.

Separately:
Mix 4 to 5 eggs, a stick of softened butter, 1/2 cup agave syrup, or mild honey (but the agave really sends this recipes flavor to the next level without adding too much sweetness) + 1 1/3 cup milk.

Mix everything together.
Fill the baking cups 2/3 full of batter.
Bake 375 to 400 degrees F for around 14 to 15 minutes keeping digilent watch for the crowns to be golden but prevent the side from burning.

Amazing result, constant comments. Easy to fix in a Recreation Vehicle galley with a not so reliable nor accurate temp RV stove.

Last edited:
extream-heat-california.jpg

Death Valley Ca is a German Tourist haven.
The road in the video a few posts above is the main thoroughfare.

As you drive along it you’ll pass groups of Germans in skivvies walking along the shoulder passing a bottle of Jack Daniels back and fourth. Or baking themselves in the desert sun.

$18 for a fifth of Jack here, evidently back in the Fatherland considerably more dear.

You may be the only native English speaking person in the village of Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells out of 500 to 1000 visitors.

A favorite thing the Germans do is fly to the Ford factory, take delivery on a high performance Mustang car. They drive it around the USA for a month then ship it back to Germany.
The tale goes the whole cost - car, travel and expenses is much cheaper than if they bought the car alone in Germany.
$2.39 for a gallon of gas is like free to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom