Cooking potatoes in the skin

Local time
4:01 PM
How do you cook your potatoes? Do you ever cook them in the skin and peel them afterwards? One pet peeve of mine is peeling potatoes. However, cooking them in the skin first would make peeling them much easier. After the potatoes are cooked in the skin, they should then be removed from the pot and placed in cold water for a while. When they are removed from the cold water, the skin can then be easily removed using your own hands. You may also use a knife if you so desire.

Whenever I cook them in the skin I am expecting they will be eaten skin and all. I feel like I have seen a potato salad recipe that asked for you to cook the potatoes in the skin but I never do. I always peel before boiling for my salads and a few other potato dishes. Let's just say if I don't intend for the skin to eaten I peel every time.

When I make potatoe salad I boil my potatoes with the skin on, when they are done I can slit the skins and just peel them off. I have found this method to be easier and faster to peel the potatoe.

I boil my potatoes with the skin on when I make potato salad as well, I would much rather peel the potatoes when they are raw, however. It is a little more work when you do it that way, but I hate how messy it gets when you are trying to peel potatoes that have been cooked. Most of the time when I leave the skins on my potatoes is when I am making something in which I want the skins to remain on and be eaten. I love the taste of fried potato skins.

score the skin of a large potato around the middle and bake in oven on a bed of salt,french call it pomme au four or jacket potato then half it and scoop out flesh use it for mash or mash the potato and load the mix with bacon and cheese put the mix bake in the skin and bake it ,or steam potatoes then peel and use for saute potatoes,or boil new potatoes with skins on for salads the list is endless once you've got mash or steamed potato

20% of the nutrients in potatoes are found in the skins, so why would you want to remove some of that and leave just the starchy carbohydrate behind to eat? Most of the fibre in potatoes is found in the skin.
I never, ever peel potatoes. you get them in their skin every time, even for mashed potatoes.

This site is quite interesting (if you look down the page you have selected to the expanded versions for vitamins and mineral percentages
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-potato000000000000000000000-2.html?&freetext=potato
On the page itself, you can see the different ways of cooking potatoes and click on each link... just watch the quantities... if you want to compare them, make sure they are showing the same quantity, they often default to something unexpected!

Depends on the dish I'm cooking. If it's boiled potatoes then I'd peel the skin. If it's baked or grilled then you bet I'm leaving it on with lots of drizzled olive oil on top.

Very often we will make mashed potatoes for dinner and just boil the whole potato, skin and all. We leave the skins on even when we mash. It's not too often that we peel the potatoes, unless we are entertaining a large crowd, and that's really only for the aesthetics of it (the skins don't always look so pretty mashed up with the rest of the potatoes!)

I really have something against mashed potatoes with skin still on them. That is the one time I am sure to peel the skin off, I really like a creamy helping of soft mashed potatoes with gravy on top. I have also gotten into the tiny fingerling potatoes within the last year and roast them in the oven all the time. They are easy to make because all you have to do is toss them in some olive oil and add some spice (I use rosemary, thyme, and parsley) and you have a side dish for very little effort.

Rosyrain, I am sort of there with you on my mashed potatoes being peeled. I am yet to try that and likely won't. I don't think I have seen anyone talk about hassle back potatoes which I spoke about before and actually created a thread for once I stumbled on them. I worked the recipe with various twists until I was tired. I have read that the skin does contain most of the nutrients and understand what Sat is saying. I will take a second look at the link which seems quite in depth. Yet I am going to be a little rebellious and peel it for certain dishes.

Back
Top Bottom