Cooking tasks which you find boring

For garlic, peeling is by far the worst part. I do chop garlic cloves by hand, rather than use a garlic press, depending on how much I need. For large quantities of garlic, I'll often buy pre-peeled, vacuum-sealed garlic.

We used to have peeled garlic available loose in the superstores. However it's years since I've seen any.

The most boring thing I've found is peeling potatoes, although, unless a recipe specifically needs peeling spuds, I usually just scrub them. Peeling carrots isn't so bad, if I have to do it, since the dog gets the peelings in his dinner and he makes sure I hurry up. As for onions, no problems - my eyes don't usually water unless I overdo the eye drops :laugh:

I recently discovered powdered ground garlic - I think it is more common in the US perhaps. I must confess I'm now doshing it in all sorts of things rather than peel garlic!

I remember reading a recipe on the net a while ago. Within the ingredient list it specified "garlic powder (if you don't have garlic powder, you can substitute fresh garlic)"

It made me chuckle.

The most boring thing I've found is peeling potatoes, although, unless a recipe specifically needs peeling spuds, I usually just scrub them. Peeling carrots isn't so bad, if I have to do it, since the dog gets the peelings in his dinner and he makes sure I hurry up. As for onions, no problems - my eyes don't usually water unless I overdo the eye drops :laugh:

I don't mind peeling potatoes if its not vast quantities - but I'd only ever use a 'speed peeler':

Potato_Peeler.jpg

I remember as a kid we had a peeler like this - which was hard work:

0fe7d8a8-70b6-40fc-b368-9994a87fcebe._SL300__.jpg

You have only just discovered that? I've had it for ages but it's not that impressive to me. At least not alongside the actual garlic. I am impress the way my husband sits and takes care of the garlic. Thinking about it now the garlic should be envied.:giggle::giggle:

Garlic powder is just not something we get in supermarkets here except in tiny jars which are stupidly expensive. Obviously a tiny jar isn't going to last five minutes as most recipes need one or two teaspoons. Its just not traditionally used in the UK - I bought some on-line. I think it may be available in Asian shops.

You use the hard work one? Have you not tried the speed peeler?

Never even seen one. Knowing me, I'd probably remove another part of my extremities trying to use something different.

However, if I do peel potatoes It's unlikely that I peel more than two.

Here's the potato peeler I use:

main_variation_Default_view_1_425x425.jpg

It's ergonomic, so none of the wrist fatigue that an old style peeler gives you. And, what looks like a little white plastic blade is actually razor sharp. The skin comes off as easily as peeling a banana.

Here's the potato peeler I use:

main_variation_Default_view_1_425x425.jpg

It's ergonomic, so none of the wrist fatigue that an old style peeler gives you. And, what looks like a little white plastic blade is actually razor sharp. The skin comes off as easily as peeling a banana.

Yes - that is a type of speed peeler. Often they are Y shaped.

What's your track record? I am curious.
Best not to ask! :laugh:

Do you honestly think I should be let loose with one of these? Not with my track record :laugh:
They are really safe. I don't think its possible to cut yourself with one of those. You lay the potato on a chopping board and stroke the peeler across it. Your hand is nowhere near the blade.

Back
Top Bottom