Cooking tasks which you find boring

IMG_1817.JPG

Easy with one of these. It has the swivelling blade like the ones above, but you use it like a knife.

Best not to ask! :laugh:

They are really safe. I don't think its possible to cut yourself with one of those. You lay the potato on a chopping board and stroke the peeler across it. Your hand is nowhere near the blade.

I peel my potatoes in the sink.

Epicuric, that peeler is so OLD school! lol
Those are the ones i grew up with. Do they still make them like that?
I use a similar Style with the plastic handle, the KitchenAid type. I never could get the hang of a speed peeler-- I can use them just not fast, and for some reason they don't feel natural to me.
Over the years in the work kitchen where you might have to peel hundreds of potatoes at a time, I've developed a few different techniques to keep the wrists intact and the muscle pain at bay. Kind of hard to explain though, maybe I'll see if I can find a video on it. But one technique is basically putting down a thick towel, putting the vegetable on top of it with my left hand, the peeler in my right and instead of peeling "out into outer space", I peel down into the towel. This can be done surprisingly quickly. It works especially well with carrots and yams, etc. Again you'd probably have to see it to understand it.

I peel down into the towel. This can be done surprisingly quickly. It works especially well with carrots and yams, etc. Again you'd probably have to see it to understand it.
I think I understand - but what type of peeler are you using? I am starting a new thread! Here

Last edited:
I use the swivel type like Epicuric posted, only more modern. Cant post a pic right now cuz I'm on my phone.
Peeling rapidly downward at 45 degree angle is a much more natural and comfortable way of doing it, hence the increase speed.

Epicuric, that peeler is so OLD school! lol
Those are the ones i grew up with. Do they still make them like that?
I use a similar Style with the plastic handle, the KitchenAid type. I never could get the hang of a speed peeler-- I can use them just not fast, and for some reason they don't feel natural to me.
Over the years in the work kitchen where you might have to peel hundreds of potatoes at a time, I've developed a few different techniques to keep the wrists intact and the muscle pain at bay. Kind of hard to explain though, maybe I'll see if I can find a video on it. But one technique is basically putting down a thick towel, putting the vegetable on top of it with my left hand, the peeler in my right and instead of peeling "out into outer space", I peel down into the towel. This can be done surprisingly quickly. It works especially well with carrots and yams, etc. Again you'd probably have to see it to understand it.
I understand exactly what you mean - not that I often peel carrots or yams! For potatoes the action I use is more like using a paring knife - hold the potato in the left hand, and use the thumb of the right as a lever, pulling the peeler towards it. I've never found a peeler better than the old metal one - they also get better when worn in a bit.

I peel my potatoes in the sink.
So do I even though I have tried all kinds of gadgets for very short periods. My husband hates to see me do it, especially if I don't immediately but them in the trash. " You lay the potato on a chopping board and stroke the peeler across it" sounds so much like a bedroom scene (to me at least). @morning glory, you know my history of quick fixes.

It was bullet biting day today. This morning's effort:

peeled garlic s.jpg

Peeling potatoes, carrots etc. isn't a problem because I also use a peeler like this:
7625_1?$325$.jpg

So its actually pretty quick and easy.

Onions are the worst for me....I sometimes wonder whether it'd be worth getting those glasses that are supposed to stop your eyes watering which I've seen in the local garden centre But I'm not sure which is worse.....watering eyes, or the thought of wearing something like this?

KCOGLASSESPURPLE-KC-Onion-Glasses-Purple.jpg

Peeling garlic isn't one of my favourite jobs, but I do have a surprisingly useful garlic peeler, which works 75% of the time:
hjayyz1459910126149.jpg

Though like @Yorky we also sometimes bite the bullet and peel a load of garlic, mince it with enough light olive oil to make a paste then freeze it. In fact we had no choice to do this a few months ago as our garlic from the allotment went a bit too far so it wouldn't have stored very well. So after it had dried out we spent a good few hours peeling around 150 bulbs of garlic - hard work at the time, but now I have lots of very easy garlic in the freezer :okay:

Garlic powder is just not something we get in supermarkets here except in tiny jars which are stupidly expensive. Obviously a tiny jar isn't going to last five minutes as most recipes need one or two teaspoons. Its just not traditionally used in the UK - I bought some on-line. I think it may be available in Asian shops.
You can also find it in 100g bags in the "ethnic" aisle in large supermarkets - I know for sure that Morrisons and Sainsburys sell those bags for less than £1. I use it a lot in dry rubs and things like taco seasonings (I also get my peppercorns, ghee, rice and some spices from those aisles - usually much cheaper than the "normal" spice aisle).

Yep that's my reaction too.
Think I'll put up with the watering eyes :laugh:

No offense but I always find this amusing here in Nakhorn Nowhere. Our "ethnic" aisles contain Western foodstuffs.
The ethnic aisles in our local supermarkets have imported Polish, American, Carribean, Indian, Nepalese, Thai, Chinese & Japanese ingredients - well those are the ones I recognise anyway. They're mostly dried and tinned things rather than fresh, though there are also cartons of drinks too.
To be honest, its my favourite place to browse :)

Back
Top Bottom