Cooking with alcohol

My last batch of minced beef puddings were made with half a bottle of London Porter. Aren't bad. I've got some London Stout for the next filling.

I found some Lamb shoulder on yellow sticker in M&S so I'm thinking I might boil the bones in the stout. Will it be a disaster?

Last edited:
My last batch of minced beef puddings were made with half a bottle of London Porter. Aren't bad. I've got some London Stout for the next filling.

I found some Lamb shoulder on yellow sticker in M&S so I'm thinking I might boil the bones in the stout. Will it be a disaster?

That should work. Add a carrot and some thyme if you have them. Simmer (not boil) for at least 2 hrs. Skim off scum as it rises to the surface. You will get a better result if you roast the lamb bones first.

Here is Gordon Ramsay on the subject.
'Lamb bones, which have been brushed with olive oil and roasted in the oven for about an hour, are added to the pot with enough cold water to cover them completely. As the broth simmers, a foamy scum rises to the surface which is skimmed off, and not surprisingly, discarded. A few sprigs of fresh parsley, thyme, some peppercorns and a bay leaf are then added, and the stock is left to simmer uncovered for 4-6 hours'

Does Yellow sticker means marked down for quick sale?
It means that here.

That should work. Add a carrot and some thyme if you have them. Simmer (not boil) for at least 2 hrs. Skim off scum as it rises to the surface. You will get a better result if you roast the lamb bones first.

Here is Gordon Ramsay on the subject.
'Lamb bones, which have been brushed with olive oil and roasted in the oven for about an hour, are added to the pot with enough cold water to cover them completely. As the broth simmers, a foamy scum rises to the surface which is skimmed off, and not surprisingly, discarded. A few sprigs of fresh parsley, thyme, some peppercorns and a bay leaf are then added, and the stock is left to simmer uncovered for 4-6 hours'

Thanks for that, I'll try it.

Does Yellow sticker means marked down for quick sale?
It means that here.

Yes. With Marks & Spencer it usually means the 'use by' is today.

Back
Top Bottom