CookingBites Dish of the Month (April): Pizza

no longer available pizzas.

You mean no longer available from Pizza restaurants/outlets? In the UK we have a shorter pizza history so I doubt there are any which aren't available from earlier in our history. Its quite traditional here, I think compared to the U.S.

But I am also trying to think out of the box. Its not easy with pizza. Do you get 'stuffed crust' in the U.S.?

You mean no longer available from Pizza restaurants/outlets? In the UK we have a shorter pizza history so I doubt there are any which aren't available from earlier in our history. Its quite traditional here, I think compared to the U.S.

But I am also trying to think out of the box. Its not easy with pizza. Do you get 'stuffed crust' in the U.S.?
Heinz are bringing back baked beans pizza to the UK. Anyone?

How about naan pizza? Or pide?

When husband and I first married we used to make pittabread pizzas on a Friday evening as a treat. Now I've said that I want to recreate them. Just cheap pittas from local shop. Can of tomatoes drained a bit. Onions, capers and sometimes anchovies (expensive)and cheap, woody olives (were OK chopped up). Usually garlic and chilli. Sometimes leftover veg: mushrooms, peppers.

Maybe the memory will be broken.

How about naan pizza? Or pide?

When husband and I first married we used to make pittabread pizzas on a Friday evening as a treat. Now I've said that I want to recreate them. Just cheap pittas from local shop. Can of tomatoes drained a bit. Onions, capers and sometimes anchovies (expensive)and cheap, woody olives (were OK chopped up). Usually garlic and chilli. Sometimes leftover veg: mushrooms, peppers.

Maybe the memory will be broken.

I reckon flatbreads in general make for pretty good substitutes for a pizza base. Even a thickish pancake perhaps.

I have a recipe (from Madhur I think) for oven baked naan bread. Maybe half baking it then adding the topping may work. I'll give it a go next week.

ovenbread.jpg

I know that I'm a very ancient stick in the mud but I believe there are some foods that don't fuse.

Chicken curry in a pie is one. Curry on a pizza is another.

The latter is strange because pizza base is very close to naan bread. Perhaps it's the cheese.

I know that I'm a very ancient stick in the mud but I believe there are some foods that don't fuse.

Chicken curry in a pie is one. Curry on a pizza is another.

The latter is strange because pizza base is very close to naan bread. Perhaps it's the cheese.

I think with a Thai Curry Pizza cheese would be a grave mistake! But I can imagine a spicy curry pizza minus cheese being OK. Maybe...

I think with a Thai Curry Pizza cheese would be a grave mistake! But I can imagine a spicy curry pizza minus cheese being OK. Maybe...

I find it difficult to imagine a pizza without cheese.

Folks used to laugh at me when, in a local bar, I would order a ham and cheese sandwich but without the cheese. "Why don't you just order a ham sandwich?" they would say. "Because a ham sandwich on it's own is not on the menu, they will bring me a ham and cheese".

Many. many, many years ago I was hitch hiking between Zaragoza and Barcelona with two Scottish girls. They taught me to say "bacon and tomato sandwich" in Spanish. Unfortunately they omitted the word for "cooked".

Back
Top Bottom