CookingBites Dish of the Month (March): Burgers

Looking forward to these turning out.

Russ
The buns came out quite nicely, but I forgot to take a picture of them. I didn't use steam so the crust was super thin and crisp. I really enjoyed having several for breakfast yesterday with butter. Yes, I'll admit I have a fresh bread and butter addiction. :D I could have eaten every one that was left but was able to stop after 4. :whistling:

The buns came out quite nicely, but I forgot to take a picture of them. I didn't use steam so the crust was super thin and crisp. I really enjoyed having several for breakfast yesterday with butter. Yes, I'll admit I have a fresh bread and butter addiction. :D I could have eaten every one that was left but was able to stop after 4. :whistling:

I too have a butter addiction. There's about 10 lb in the garage fridge.

Russ

Black bean and mushroom burgers tonight were good but need improving as did not hold together too well, but taste was great and texture not far off.

A little smokey with smoked paprika. Umami with mushrooms and a little tamari. Recipes suggested liquid smoke and Worcester sauce but I don't think it needed it. (Though maybe even better? )

Black bean and mushroom burgers tonight were good but need improving as did not hold together too well, but taste was great and texture not far off.

A little smokey with smoked paprika. Umami with mushrooms and a little tamari. Recipes suggested liquid smoke and Worcester sauce but I don't think it needed it. (Though maybe even better? )

All ingredients sound good. Did it have any egg to bind?

All ingredients sound good. Did it have any egg to bind?
I think I sometimes take on too much with trying gluten free and vegan at the same time if any baking or binding needed. I should try with eggs first then adapt.
I need to experiment more with flax. There are other egg replacements but I think flax sounds a lot better than 'artificial egg' but if anyone has advice on this I am lost please to learn better.

I think I sometimes take on too much with trying gluten free and vegan at the same time if any baking or binding needed. I should try with eggs first then adapt.
I need to experiment more with flax. There are other egg replacements but I think flax sounds a lot better than 'artificial egg' but if anyone has advice on this I am lost please to learn better.

Do you and/or your husband need to be egg free?

Re flax - I tried it once or twice with poor results. But I am not saying it doesn't work. It could simply be my technique.

I have only just come across this thread (lackadaisical as usual).

This is one of my favourite (albeit messy) beef burgers........

egg burger.jpg

egg burger may s.jpg

3 s.jpg

Do you and/or your husband need to be egg free?
Until recently, yes. But since moving to the Midlands and having access to fresh eggs I've found I don't react to them. I do, however, cook for people who are vegan, nut-free, etc so I think I need to restrict my, erm. restrictions, when experimenting, and work from there.

Back
Top Bottom