CookingBites Dish of the Month (March): Burgers

Creole jack fruit burger topped with tempura battered spiced aubergine.
View attachment 23216
Not much to look at, but the flavours were amazing. First time I ever used jack fruit - I could get addicted to these.

I see you left the jackfruit in strips - normally for burgers they are shredded so the texture becomes meat-like. Were you following a recipe?

I see you left the jackfruit in strips - normally for burgers they are shredded so the texture becomes meat-like. Were you following a recipe?
Ah! I thought something was not quite right. I was (kind of) following a recipe, but the shredding was not explained so I cut it into strips instead. Every day's a school day!

Ah! I thought something was not quite right. I was (kind of) following a recipe, but the shredding was not explained so I cut it into strips instead. Every day's a school day!

:) The one I made from jackfruit was a great success. Unfortunately I didn't write down quite how I did it but I did shred the jackfruit. Jackfruit really is an excellent vegan ingredient. I added achiote paste for colour and taste:

fullsizeoutput_3713.jpeg

You might be forgiven for thinking that this is one of those daft gimmicky books, due its shape. But you'd be wrong. This is written by Paul Gaylor who is not a well known chef outside chef's circles because he doesn't appear on TV. He has had a distinguished career as Chef in top London hotels such as The Dorchester. I have two of his other books and landed on him because he has always promoted vegetarian recipes.

It was originally published in 2005 and I bought this edition via Amazon second hand for a mere £2.68 (a few dollars). It includes a wide array of burgers including veggie-burgers with lush photos. I gather @Wyshiepoo also has an edition of this book.

fullsizeoutput_43bf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_43bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_43b8.jpeg

A big thank you to everyone who participated in the Mad March Burger Ball! In total we had 10 contributors.
  • @detroitdad was first up with bacon bourbon venison burgers with bourbon caramelised onions.
  • Next was @MrsDangermouse with Grated carrot and chickpea burger:
  • Then we had @medtran49 & @CraigC with Pork burger Banh Mi sliders with sriracha mayo, daikon-carrot slaw and cilantro.
  • @Herbie made Black bean and mushroom burgers
  • @Yorky gave us beef, then pork, then ‘dog burgers’ and fillet steak burgers (twice) and a fish and chip burger and finally a"Ham" burger (with egg) and a Beef burger with pickled jalapeños.
  • @Today in the Kitchen made burger with cheddar, spinach, feta and pineapple plus a fried egg and then Olive and Spinach Cheeseburger
  • @Thelatenight gave us an oxtail bourguignon burger.
  • @epicuric made a duck burger stuffed with blue cheese and then a Creole jack fruit burger topped with tempura battered spiced aubergine.
  • I made a gammon & turkey burger
  • @Wyshipoos made Bacon Wrapped Turkey Burger.
My vote for the maddest burger goes to @The Late Night Gourmet for oxtail bourguignon burger.

Next up as the dish of the month for April is Pizza! :woot:

A day too late:

TOKYO: A Tokyo restaurant is honouring the crowning of the new Japanese emperor next month with a football-sized wagyu beef hamburger served between gold-dusted buns -- at an eye-watering cost of $900.

The juicy three-kilogram (six-pound) whopper, painstakingly prepared by chefs at the swanky Oak Door steakhouse in Tokyo’s Roppongi district went on sale Monday.

It measures 25 centimetres (10 inches) in diameter and is topped with foie gras, slices of Japanese beef and freshly shaved black truffles.

burger.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom