Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Filo/Phyllo Pastry

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:23 PM
Congratulations go to @medtran49 who won the Recipe Challenge ‘pasta’ with a recipe for Spinach pasta with leeks and guanciale and has chosen filo/phyllo pastry (bought or home-made) as the next challenge ingredient. The new extended deadline for entries is midday Saturday 29th September (BST).
Leek-chicken-filo-pastry-pie-1.jpg

The full list of previous winners, recipes and chosen ingredients can be found here.

A Reminder of the"Rules" (revised May 2017)
You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's (or site owner's) decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
  • And finally, as always, in the event of any dispute the site owner has the final say.

Last edited:
You can use purchased or homemade. Here's a link if you want to try homemade. Homemade phyllo dough. I'll make another batch in next couple of days and post pics and directions, but link posted in case anybody wants to check it out. It really is quite simple, easy and cheap to make, plus some of your time.

Savory or sweet.

Last edited:
I've only ever made one thing with filo which is spanokopitta. I expect there are lots of other things which can be made. I'll have a search as I'm holiday for a 10 days and we are settling in to our new flat and the new kitchen so I got time to try things out.

Well that's me out of the game. Any gf and df pastry is awful
I'll see if I can do something when at my parents' this weekend (between laying a path and singing in a concert).

Not an entry but one of my favourites. It's a pity that they don't freeze.

Spring roll shaped samosas........

cooked 6 s.jpg

I cant eat dairy and husband cant eat gluten so cook dairy-free (df) and gluten-free (gf). I can cook with dairy at home as long as I don't eat it, but husband is very allergic to gluten so I can't have anything in the house that contains gluten. Gluten-free pastry is very difficult and not that nice. I can cook with gluten when I visit my parents (about once every two weeks). Mum let's me take over the kitchen and mum and dad enjoy trying my experiments.

Back
Top Bottom