Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Mackerel

I've smoked it myself using a smoke gun - but I guess you don't have one of those. You can smoke it in a pan indoors - line pan with foil, add some wood chips and place a rack or steamer to hold the tofu, cover tightly. Or smoke it outdoors if you have a BBQ.
Sadly that would require a fire permit ! No open flames allowed except gas (and we don't have a BBQ which had to be gas to be able to use it in summer.) fire regulations are very strict for obvious reasons .

Plus buying anything online in Australia can be very expensive because postage is not cheap here and if you live away from anywhere you often end up collecting the parcel yourself from a post office (sounds ok until you look at opening hours m-f 9-5 closed for lunch ...) and anything that can perish or explode (tins left in the hot sun) makes life even more interesting !

I'll try the supermarket again now I have an idea on what I'm looking for. Woollies might just have it in tins.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/mackerel-fillets-with-orange.13982/
Mackerel in orange juice.jpg

4F948768-13DF-4F52-9435-004DB9070F9D.jpeg

Pressure Cooker Mackerel Spinach Risotto.

Agatha Christie had a truism when it came to stories: a gun shown in the first act must be used by the third act. What she meant was that something as significant as a gun simply cannot be shown in the story if that gun is not going to eventually be used. It’s too confusing for the audience.

I found a similar situation here. I mentioned that I purchased a canned mackerel, prior to smoking the whole mackerel. I honestly thought I would not open that can before the Challenge, and possibly that I would never open it. After all, I had all this delicious smoked mackerel.

Then, I made the mistake of overestimating the preservative effects of smoking. My beautiful mackerel - the amount I planned to use in this risotto - had spoiled. But, I still had that can. And, I’m extremely happy to say, it worked beautifully.

Last edited:
View attachment 21490

Pressure Cooker Mackerel Spinach Risotto.

Agatha Christie had a truism when it came to stories: a gun shown in the first act must be used by the third act. What she meant was that something as significant as a gun simply cannot be shown in the story if that gun is not going to eventually be used. It’s too confusing for the audience.

I found a similar situation here. I mentioned that I purchased a canned mackerel, prior to smoking the whole mackerel. I honestly thought I would not open that can before the Challenge, and possibly that I would never open it. After all, I had all this delicious smoked mackerel.

Then, I made the mistake of overestimating the preservative effects of smoking. My beautiful mackerel - the amount I planned to use in this risotto - had spoiled. But, I still had that can. And, I’m extremely happy to say, it worked beautifully.

Recipe to follow!

Mackerel spinach risotto! That's a very good idea, it sounds great to me.

I mentioned that I purchased a canned mackerel, prior to smoking the whole mackerel. I honestly thought I would not open that can before the Challenge, and possibly that I would never open it.

Smoked mackerel & spinach is a truly inspirational flavour combination - good thinking. I think you could also achieve an interesting result using kale.

I was very amused by the idea that you refused to let your smoked mackerel become a red herring ….

Some fantastic entries here folks! I'd be very happy to tuck into any of them.

Two more days to go...

I' making a dairy free mackerel pate on Saturday. I'e failed to make a delicious smoked mackerel pilaf, but I'll post the recipe anyway as it really is good.

I just need to find time at my laptop to type up properly.

Back
Top Bottom