Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Squash

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:43 PM
The current Recipe Challenge ingredient is squash - including courgettes (zucchini) and pumpkin. The deadline for entries is midday Saturday 27th Oct (BST). All you need to do to enter is post a recipe containing the chosen ingredient, tag it CookingBites recipe challenge and link it back to this thread. It must be a recipe you haven't previously posted on the forum. The winner of the Recipe Challenge chooses a new ingredient and becomes the judge for the next round.

GettyImages-872402540.jpg

The full list of previous winners, recipes and chosen ingredients can be found here.

A Reminder of the"Rules" (revised May 2017)
You must post up the recipe here on CookingBites during the time frame of the competition (no screenshots of or links to recipes on other sites other than crediting is permitted).
  • The recipe must contain the ingredient specified in the challenge.
  • The recipe must have the 'recipe' prefix and the 'CookingBites recipe challenge' tag. It should also have the correct normal tags so the recipe below would have the 'chicken' and 'lemons' tags at a minimum.
upload_2017-5-27_10-53-46-png.png

• The recipe must be linked to in this thread to indicate participation in the current recipe challenge.
  • (New) Cooking the recipe is optional, though it is encouraged.
  • (New) Photographs are optional, but encouraged. They are not, by any means, mandatory.
  • To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution will be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.
  • (New) In the event that an ingredient is unavailable regionally, substitutions should be agreed with the judge.
  • The judge's (or site owner's) decision is final and the new winner will select the next ingredient and the time frame...
  • And finally, as always, in the event of any dispute the site owner has the final say.
Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad we don't necessarily have to cook the entry. I wish I knew that for the phyllo challenge.

I was going to enter Turkish Ekmek Kataifi, which is a dessert of a pistachio bottom "crust", then a lighter than air layer of rosewater flavoured custard, topped with shredded phyllo. But I never had time to go pick up the shredded phyllo. Or the rosewater.

Anywho, I will endeavour to squish a squash in real time and see what comes out.

I'm glad we don't necessarily have to cook the entry. I wish I knew that for the phyllo challenge.

I was going to enter Turkish Ekmek Kataifi, which is a dessert of a pistachio bottom "crust", then a lighter than air layer of rosewater flavoured custard, topped with shredded phyllo. But I never had time to go pick up the shredded phyllo. Or the rosewater.

Anywho, I will endeavour to squish a squash in real time and see what comes out.

That dessert sounds lovely. Can you post a recipe please?

Last edited:
Will do. I need to find my notes, but it's pretty easy.
My old neighbors used to make this at the end of Eid.

A challenge that I can participate in. I still have a batch of Moroccan spice blend in the cupboard. I think it will be time to roast some squash :)

I love a crown squash cut in half or cut the 'lid' off depending on size. Brush inside with oil and sprinkle on salt. Roast until lovely and soft and slightly caramelised. Pour on more olive or rapeseed oil and more salt and some chilli flakes. Eat. On its own. Delicious. I think of it as a thick soup :wink:

Back
Top Bottom