Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Squash

I'll try to get to it again and see, but I don't do pics. I've made the recipe before a few years ago, so anyone is free to give it a try if they like.

Just sharing :)

I tried to post the video, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I'm still kind of new here, and to be honest the rules for sharing recipes and entering a challenge are confusing to me I E tags, cross-referencing Etc. I like to keep things simple.

Last edited:
The rules drove me mad the first time too - ask @morning glory for detailed step-by-step help.

Yeah. It's way too complicated and time-consuming for me. I read the rules for The Challenge three times, and my head is still spinning. And never a response to a shared link. Sorry, probably not for me :)

Last edited:
It's actually quite simple. Create a recipe thread, preferably with picture. Then, post in this thread, again preferably with a picture, with a link to your recipe thread. Nothing complicated or difficult at all. You are getting bogged down in the minutiae of all the words.

The tags can be added when you are making the recipe thread. The tag box is nearly at the bottom of the thread creation screen.

The links are put in using the little chain icon (NOT the one with the tiny x) that is located in the top line of icons when you are writing a post.

Not meant to be insulting. A lot of people, including myself at times, get bogged down when facing something new and lots of words.

Yeah. It's way too complicated and time-consuming for me. I read the rules for The Challenge three times, and my head is still spinning. And never a response to a shared link. Sorry, probably not for me :)

I know... you are not the only one to find it a bit confusing regarding how to enter the Challenge. I will PM'd you about it. But anyway, I have looked at the recipe and it seems very good. I remember seeing something a bit similar on an Italian website.

I also tried to upload the video without success so I don't know what the problem is there.

Last edited:
We premade the dough and filling yesterday. I used the stand mixer to make the dough. We just have to make the tamales and steam them. We don't tie them with corn husk "string" as they hold together without it. This is a vegetarian/vegan dish, although I might have some Cotija cheese with mine. Pictures to follow.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/butternut-squash-tamales.13588/

36788-albums1020-picture7619.jpg

Last edited:
Finally I have a bit more time in the kitchen again and can follow the challenges. I was hoping to make a favourite dish of mine: Roast squash and red onion risotto with crispy sage, but no rice of any kind in the house. Instead I have made a warm salad of squash, brown lentils, the last of this summer's runner beans, crispy sage and pumpkin seeds. The toppings really added to the dish with flavour and texture.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/warm-squash-red-onion-and-brown-lentil-salad.13593/

2018-10-19 19.53.03.jpg
I just got done baking a butternut squash spice rolled cake. OMG, I just ate a few of the trimmings from the edges before I rolled them up to finish cooling. Craig is going to love this. I made 2 small cakes so I can freeze one. Filling will be a cream cheese buttercream with some of my homemade crystallized ginger in it. Spices are cardamom, allspice, and cinnamon. A bit of spice will be going in the frosting too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom