Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Squash

Thirteen entries for the challenge which is wonderful but makes judging difficult, of course. Interestingly:
  • 9 of the recipes were vegetarian.
  • Of the 4 recipes containing meat, two offered vegan/vegetarian options.
  • 4 of the recipes were vegan and quite a few others could be easily made vegan with a few simple substitutes.
Perhaps the vegan trend sweeping the UK is catching on here on CookingBites!

Here are my notes on each of the entries (in alphabetical order of the contributors):

@CraigC
Butternut Squash Tamales (vegan)
I thought this was a very original and innovative way of using squash and I’m hoping to make this recipe soon. Great to see step by step photos.

@detroitdad
Moroccan Roasted Butternut Squash (vegan)
A beautifully simple spicy roasted squash using home-made ras el hanout spice blend. Its great to see a Moroccan twist using squash.

@epicuric
Squash, Chorizo and Feta Salad
A very pretty Autumnal salad with a delightful combination of contrasting flavours. I love the use of harissa in a salad dressing!

Pumkin and Chilli Soup (vegetarian)
A stunning presentation for this warming winter soup. Fairly easy to make, as well.

@Frizz1974
Hasselback Butternut Squash (vegetarian)
I really liked this idea. The photo of the dish was very attractive and I like the use of the pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and sesame seeds.

@Herbie
Warm squash, red onion and brown lentil salad (vegan)
This recipe used the seeds as well as the flesh of the squash to produce a lovely Autumnal vegan dish. I really liked the use of crispy onions, sage and seeds as a topping. A subtle and well balanced recipe.

@medtran49
Stuffed spaghetti squash (vegetarian)
A lovely, cheesy Italian style dish which used zucchini as well as spaghetti squash. A great presentation.
Bravo for including using the microwave,

Tricolor rotini, Italian sausage, zucchini, mushroom pasta (vegetarian option)
A delicious looking pasta dish - easy to make and versatile in terms of adding different seasonings.

Acorn squash and Italian sausage crostata with ricotta and honey (vegetarian option)
This would be a tasty midweek supper dish with layers of fennel spiced squash and Italian sausage drizzled with honey

Fresh pumpkin pie brulee with gingersnap crust (vegetarian)
A pumpkin pie elevated to gourmet level. A great recipe.

Butternut squash spiced cake roll (vegetarian)
A clever and original way of using squash in a sweet cake roll.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Brussels Sprouts & Squash Soup
An interesting combination and the both sprouts and squash are roasted for added flavour. The miso added was a good touch.

Squash Fries with Roasted Squash Seeds (vegan)
Another vegan recipe - I liked the use of seeds and flesh and of course, the chilli.

I have to go away and have a think....

These recipes are my top picks for first place:

Butternut Squash Tamales (vegan) from @CraigC for originality.
Warm squash, red onion and brown lentil salad from @Herbie for a subtle, well balanced dish.
Pumkin and Chilli Soup from @epicuric for a stunning presentation.

Honorable mentions go to @medtran49 for Stuffed spaghetti squash and @Frizz1974 for Hasselback Butternut Squash.

Since its a tie for first place I'm decided to choose @Herbie as both @epicuric and @CraigC have had previous wins.

Congratulations @Herbie :woot: - its over to you to choose the next ingredient. Ingredients already chosen can be found here. Although as long as it wasn't chosen recently it doesn't matter if its gone before. We have been setting the deadline for 4 weeks if that is OK with you. Just post here your choice of ingredient and we will set up a new thread.

These recipes are my top picks for first place:

Butternut Squash Tamales (vegan) from @CraigC for originality.
Warm squash, red onion and brown lentil salad from @Herbie for a subtle, well balanced dish.
Pumkin and Chilli Soup from @epicuric for a stunning presentation.

Honorable mentions go to @medtran49 for Stuffed spaghetti squash and @Frizz1974 for Hasselback Butternut Squash.

Since its a tie for first place I'm decided to choose @Herbie as both @epicuric and @CraigC have had previous wins.

Congratulations @Herbie :woot: - its over to you to choose the next ingredient. Ingredients already chosen can be found here. Although as long as it wasn't chosen recently it doesn't matter if its gone before. We have been setting the deadline for 4 weeks if that is OK with you. Just post here your choice of ingredient and we will set up a new thread.
Good call @morning glory, and congratulations @Herbie!

Ok, I have decided on bananas (all varieties, inc. plantain). I would like to suggest trying savoury dishes rather than the usual banana bread etc. I often end up with bananas at the end of the week and if so we make banana pancakes for Sunday breakfast, but would like some ideas to try out.

Let's go bananas :hyper:

Ok, I have decided on bananas (all varieties, inc. plantain). I would like to suggest trying savoury dishes rather than the usual banana bread etc. I often end up with bananas at the end of the week and if so we make banana pancakes for Sunday breakfast, but would like some ideas to try out.

Let's go bananas :hyper:

OK! I'll set up the new thread ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom