Cooler weather is coming ~ What dishes will you make?

Hunting season will crank up in November. Sausage making time. Fresh venison /pork savory sausage, Italian Sausage, venison/pork breakfast sausage.

We have a smoker so venison/pork smoked sausage. Different herbs & seasonings for different flavor profiles.

Wow! I'm impressed. You will have to get that Smartphone sorted so you can post some pictures. Sausages featured recently in the recipe challenge and I made my first attempt at making home-made sausages (not entirely successful). The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Sausages. I'm assuming you have a sausage machine?

Naturally I will say Texas style chili (no beans) with the gravy being tightened with stale corn tortillas (whizzed until fine) or masa if I have any.
Pantry items are always stocked for the seasons so I have everything on hand when the first breath of cool air blows thru.
Still waiting altho it did smell a bit fall-ish last week.
@toddhicks209 you get my thumbs up for that turkey and dressing...do y'all make the cornbread style?
Don't forget the cranberry sauce... esp for leftover turkey sandwiches.
Lots of great recipes for me to try...thanks everyone!
Yes, it's the cornbread style.

I'm assuming you have a sausage machine?

Yes. It is an old cast iron commercial grade grinder with the stuffer attachments. It belonged to my Dad. It was not an unusual piece of equipment to have. I think it may have belonged to my Grandfather. I have to ask Mother.

Fall also reminds me of a Boucherie. When the weather cooled off extended families would gather to butcher hogs. We would gather at the farm of my Mother's Uncle. We would arrive Friday evening and we would have a Fete Do Do. Music, dancing, card playing, food, drinking - some store bought but most home made, children and dogs running wild. The adults slept where ever they could find a spot. sometimes on a mat on the floor. The children slept on the porch with the dogs.

It was an arduous, two day process.

The work day began before dawn with the women making cornbread to feed every one breakfast. They also set out large pots of red beans, sausage and rice on a low heat - wood burning stove - to slow cook for a noon meal.

The older children were put to work helping the women with all of their projects. The little ones ran wild, got in the way and frequently received a swat on the butt.

The hogs were butchered and bled. The head and the innards were removed. The men used a chain fall to lower the carcass into scalding water to loosen the hair. The hair was scraped off the skin.

While that was happening the women cleaned the intestines for sausage and Boudin casings. The head was cleaned - brain, tongue and eyes removed. The eyes went to the dogs. The tongue and brain were reserved to cook with other organ meats, except the liver, to make a Debris.

The head was boiled for hours. The meat from the head and all of the lovely gelatinous material were combined with seasonings and herbs then put in pans to set. Hog's Head Cheese - actually a terrine.

The liver and other meat from the hog would be ground then cooked with salt, pepper, cayenne, lots of green onions then mixed with cooked white rice. The mixture was stuffed in the casings for boudin. Another batch would be made incorporating the blood for blood boudin.

The hog was skinned and the skin, fat and bits of meat would be cut into 1" to 2" pieces then put in a huge cast iron cauldron over a fire pit. The skin and meat would cook in the fat as it rendered. When the pieces were golden and crispy they were removed and seasoned with salt and pepper - cracklins.

The rendered fat was a treasure. It was used to make soap, stored in crocks for lard. It was also used to seal crocks of salt pork for curing.

The ears, tails and feet were pickled.

Once the meat was cut off of the bones the bones were cracked and boiled to render the marrow.

Most of the meat was salted, smoked or made into sausage. My Great Uncle had a smoke house. Dad kept some of the fresh meat because we had a modern refrigerator and - such a luxury - a freezer. Some of my country cousins were still using ice boxes for refrigeration.

I have such fond memories of those occasions. The men did the heavy lifting - drinking, smoking and telling lies the entire time. The women did the majority of the work.

Nothing was wasted. The only thing not used was the squeal.

I was a child the last time we had a family Boucherie.

That old family tradition has evolved into a festival in a small town near Lafayette. Music, food, street dancing, food, booze, food.

In south Louisiana we have a festival for just about every thing. Crawfish Festival, Shrimp Festival, Frog Festival, Boucherie, Rice Festival, Sugar Cane Festival, Festival Acadian and the 2 big ones Mardi Gras and Festival International. Any excuse for a PARTY!!

Festivals are held in the fall and the spring. Summers are just to hot to dance in the street.

Wow - I think I may have rambled a little.

Fall also reminds me of a Boucherie

Further thoughts. I had never thought about this before but presumably there are a lot of French connections in Lafayette. Boucherie is, of course the French term for butchery. And (I learned today), Lafayette was named after General Lafayette who fought with the American army in the American revolutionary war. Well that is what Wiki tells me! :D

I had never thought about this before but presumably there are a lot of French connections in Lafayette

Very much so.

We are descendants of the Acadians (Arcadians)

http://acadian-cajun.com/hiscaj1.htm

This link is to a portion of a rather long document on the history of the Acadians.

Lafayette Parish (county) is considered the hub of Acadiana. For many generations French was the primary language. For my Father's generation English was a second language. In the early 20th century there was a movement to eradicate French. Children were punished if they were caught speaking French in school. Consequently many of my Father's generation did not teach their children to speak French. Much to my regret I never learned to speak French.

In the 1970's the realization hit that we were losing our very rich heritage. Efforts were made to revitalize that heritage. Cities in Louisiana were "twinned" with cities in France and schools began to offer French Immersion. "Cajun Food" and "Cajun Culture" were heavily marketed. Lafayette and the surrounding area were marketed as tourist destinations. Many of the festivals which evolved from family traditions were a part of that marketing effort.

When my ancestors arrived in south Louisiana they encountered a very harsh environment unlike any they had experienced in Nova Scotia. They were a very hard working, resourceful people. They fished, hunted, trapped and took advantage of our long growing season to keep their families fed. Foods that are now common and considered delicacies were looked upon as garbage by others. Crawfish for example.

In my humble opinion our heritage makes us unique in the U.S. Lafayette and it's environs is a wonderful place to visit. We never meet a stranger. Visitors are treated like family. To this day Acadians (Cajuns) are known for their Jois de Vie (joy of life). Laissez les bon temps rouler - let the good times roll!

If any of you ever decide to visit this region do so in the early spring or fall. Even for those of us accustomed to our summer weather the heat and humidity makes it difficult to enjoy any out door activities. As a visitor there are many things to see and do that require being out and about.

BTW - we talk a lot.

Last edited:
Very much so.

We are descendants of the Acadians (Arcadians)

http://acadian-cajun.com/hiscaj1.htm

This link is to a portion of a rather long document on the history of the Acadians.

Lafayette Parish (county) is considered the hub of Acadiana. For many generations French was the primary language. For my Father's generation English was a second language. In the early 20th century there was a movement to eradicate French. Children were punished if they were caught speaking French in school. Consequently many of my Father's generation did not teach their children to speak French. Much to my regret I never learned to speak French.

In the 1970's the realization hit that we were losing our very rich heritage. Efforts were made to revitalize that heritage. Cities in Louisiana were "twinned" with cities in France and schools began to offer French Immersion. "Cajun Food" and "Cajun Culture" were heavily marketed. Lafayette and the surrounding area were marketed as tourist destinations. Many of the festivals which evolved from family traditions were a part of that marketing effort.

When my ancestors arrived in south Louisiana they encountered a very harsh environment unlike any they had experienced in Nova Scotia. They were a very hard working, resourceful people. They fished, hunted, trapped and took advantage of our long growing season to keep their families fed. Foods that are now common and considered delicacies were looked upon as garbage by others. Crawfish for example.

In my humble opinion our heritage makes us unique in the U.S. Lafayette and it's environs is a wonderful place to visit. We never meet a stranger. Visitors are treated like family. To this day Acadians (Cajuns) are known for their Jois de Vie (joy of life). Laissez les bon temps rouler - let the good times roll!

If any of you ever decide to visit this region do so in the early spring or fall. Even for those of us accustomed to our summer weather the heat and humidity makes it difficult to enjoy any out door activities. As a visitor there are many things to see and do that require being out and about.

BTW - we talk a lot.

We are off topic but I am finding this fascinating. History and geography were never my strong points but I am now learning a lot! Perhaps a new thread about Cajun cooking? I will have a think...

We find it difficult to get lamb at anywhere near a reasonable price so I make hot pot with beef.

Hotpot 0.jpg

Hotpot 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom