Cooler weather is coming ~ What dishes will you make?

@morning glory

Share your recipe please. So many of the British and European dishes mentioned are exotic to my American palate. I enjoy collecting recipes and trying new things.

I will post it up when I have a chance to cook it. I've got a list of 'mint' dishes I'm working on at the moment. A few days... :D

Speaking of
Very much so.

We are descendants of the Acadians (Arcadians)

http://acadian-cajun.com/hiscaj1.htm

This link is to a portion of a rather long document on the history of the Acadians.

Lafayette Parish (county) is considered the hub of Acadiana. For many generations French was the primary language. For my Father's generation English was a second language. In the early 20th century there was a movement to eradicate French. Children were punished if they were caught speaking French in school. Consequently many of my Father's generation did not teach their children to speak French. Much to my regret I never learned to speak French.

In the 1970's the realization hit that we were losing our very rich heritage. Efforts were made to revitalize that heritage. Cities in Louisiana were "twinned" with cities in France and schools began to offer French Immersion. "Cajun Food" and "Cajun Culture" were heavily marketed. Lafayette and the surrounding area were marketed as tourist destinations. Many of the festivals which evolved from family traditions were a part of that marketing effort.

When my ancestors arrived in south Louisiana they encountered a very harsh environment unlike any they had experienced in Nova Scotia. They were a very hard working, resourceful people. They fished, hunted, trapped and took advantage of our long growing season to keep their families fed. Foods that are now common and considered delicacies were looked upon as garbage by others. Crawfish for example.

In my humble opinion our heritage makes us unique in the U.S. Lafayette and it's environs is a wonderful place to visit. We never meet a stranger. Visitors are treated like family. To this day Acadians (Cajuns) are known for their Jois de Vie (joy of life). Laissez les bon temps rouler - let the good times roll!

If any of you ever decide to visit this region do so in the early spring or fall. Even for those of us accustomed to our summer weather the heat and humidity makes it difficult to enjoy any out door activities. As a visitor there are many things to see and do that require being out and about.

BTW - we talk a lot.

Have been there many times and always stop at Don's Meats and stock up on boudin (OMG the seafood and pork roast varieties are to die for) as well as a couple of packages of their signature seasoning.
Try to time my trip to be there for their daily blackboard lunch menu.
Picking your brain....there is a place in the university area that serves the BEST roast beef poboy I have ever sunk my teeth into (with Mother's in NOLA running a close second).
Cannot for the life of me remember the name or where it is located...help?

On a more serous note....thoughts and prayers are with our neighbors to the east....hope y'all don't get as much rain as SE Texas did from Harvey.

Last edited:
@bluejeanbaby

Olde Tyme Grocery on W. St. Mary.

Link to their web site.

http://www.oldetymegrocery.com/

Don's is one of my favorites.

Let me know when you will be heading this way again. I would love to meet you for :coffee: or a Poboy from Olde Tyme Grocery.

:happy:

Thank you sooo much....and expect a message from me sometime in December.
Just in time for the Papa Noel dinners in NOLA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom