Recipe Coquilles Saint-Jacques

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:14 AM
This is a great dish, but on the expensive side. We've used bay scallops instead of sea scallops to cut down the expense. Sorry to our Italian friends for mixing seafood with cheese.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, dash pepper
2 pounds sea scallops, washed and drained (Not necessary with dry packed)
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 pound sliced mushrooms
1/3 cup flour
1 cup light cream
1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

Directions
1) In medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and salt; ring to boil. Add scallops; simmer covered, 6 minutes or until tender.
2) Drain on paper towels.
3) In 4 tablespoons hot butter or margarine in saucepan, sauté onion and mushrooms until tender.
4)Remove from heat. Stir in flour and dash of pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in cream and milk. Bring to boil.
5) Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, 4-5 minutes or until quite thick. Add cheese and stir until melted.
6) Remove from heat. Carefully stir in wine, lemon juice and parsley. Add scallops and mix well.
7) Turn into scallop shells or a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
8) Mix bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over the scallops.
9) Place shells on cookie sheet. Broil 4 inches from heat 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
10) Remove and serve immediately!

Nice! Coquilles Saint Jaques is such a classic dish. I'm sure I've made it (long ago). I'm trying to remember if I did anything differently.

Nice! Coquilles Saint Jaques is such a classic dish. I'm sure I've made it (long ago). I'm trying to remember if I did anything differently.

I wonder how many folks know the difference between wet and dry packed sea scallops.

Unfortunately they are not labelled as either wet or dry (far as I know) in the UK. Next time a buy from the fish counter in the supermarket I'll ask the person serving. I've only ever used fresh scallops (not frozen) and prefer to buy them in the shell if possible - in which case they are untreated.

Sorry to our Italian friends for mixing seafood with cheese.
I understand that there is traditionally a prohibition against seafood with cheese. But, that is intended to avoid traditionally assertive cheeses (like Parmesano Reggiano) stomping on a delicate seafood (like scallops). Gruyere isn't particularly assertive, so I think it would be acceptable. But, I'm New World Italian (my dad, who was born in Italy, doesn't have a strong feelings either way: he just shrugs and says, "If it taste good, then it's okay.")

Love Coquille St Jaques. We had a debate some time ago about fish/shellfish and cheese, and although they are generally not compatible there are some notable exceptions. Lobster Thermidore is another that springs to mind.

Mac and cheese my way, which is a Cajun chef's recipe using shrimp and tasso, is pretty darn good too!

Back
Top Bottom