Coriander leaf - are you as finickity as I?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
3:23 PM
I use a lot of coriander leaf in my meals; in fact I'd guess that over 50% of my potato dishes include fresh coriander.

I am aware that Jamie Oliver (and probably others) use the whole plant and just chuck them in a processor to chop them up. I am obviously not on the same hourly rate as JO but I prefer to just use the leaves and spend a little time separating them from the stalks.

Am I being too finickity?

This lot took me about 10 minutes whilst sat on the stoep with a colendar and a beer.

Coriander leaf s.jpg

[Edit: It will be chopped a little more with kitchen scissors for my kohlapuri today.]

Last edited:
The stems have as much flavour as the leaves (if not more) so I think you may be being a bit finickity! Perhaps you don't like the way the chopped stalks look? Or maybe you don't like the texture in your mouth?

If serving as a garnish to be eaten, I use just leaves. If it is going in something that gets blitzed, I'll use the smaller stems. I've seen some Thai dishes that use every thing except the roots.

If serving as a garnish to be eaten, I use just leaves. If it is going in something that gets blitzed, I'll use the smaller stems. I've seen some Thai dishes that use every thing except the roots.

Except for Tom Yam which uses everything including the roots!

The stems have as much flavour as the leaves (if not more) so I think you may be being a bit finickity! Perhaps you don't like the way the chopped stalks look? Or maybe you don't like the texture in your mouth?

The answer is, for the same as many things that I do - I've always done it and it is doubtful that I'll change now.

Back
Top Bottom