Recipe Corky's Potato Latkes

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:41 AM
There used to be a restaurant locally called Corky's. They were known for their latkes. I'd order a dozen as a side for breakfast or lunch. Have never been able to find a restaurant that makes them close or the same. Can only get "potato pancakes" that are very dark in color and 4 times the size with out a similar taste. This is as close too the original recipe I have found.

Ingredients
5 pounds potatoes (about 15 medium or 8 large potatoes), shredded fine (to yield 11 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 pounds onions (about 5 medium), chopped fine (to yield 2 1/4 cups)
4 ounces (about 2/3 cup) matzoh meal
4 ounces (about 1 cup) all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 ounce salt (about 2 teaspoons, or to taste)
1/2 ounces ground black pepper (about 1 teaspoon)
Vegetable oil, for frying

Directions
1) Thoroughly stir together the potatoes, onions, matzoh meal, flour, eggs, salt and pepper.
2) In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1/2-inch of vegetable oil over moderately high heat. Using a slotted spoon, place about 2 rounded Tbsp (I use a scoop) into hot oil for each latke, without crowding pan. Flatten slightly and fry until latkes are golden on both sides, turning once. Remove to paper towels to blot oil.
3) Keep warm in a 200 degree F oven in a single layer on cookie sheet until serving.

Serve with applesauce and sour cream. Makes about 48 latkes

We've been using potato flour instead of regular last couple times we made these.

Back
Top Bottom