Recipe Corned Beef Hash Rustic Pie

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:45 PM
Looking for something to do with leftover corned beef? Give this a whirl. Heck I'd make corned beef just to have this!:okay:

Ingredients
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 to 4 tablespoons cold lager beer or beef broth

Potatoes:
2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-in. cubes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 tablespoon stone-ground Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Rustic Pie:
1/2 pound thinly sliced corned beef or purchased from a deli/grocery.
1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
1 tablespoon cold whole milk or heavy whipping cream

Directions
1) Whisk flour, salt and sugar; cut in butter until the size of small peas. Gradually add beer, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
2) Meanwhile, place potatoes and salt in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain.
3) Return to saucepan; add green onions, butter, mustard and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender and browned, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
4) Roll dough between two pieces of waxed paper to a 1/8-in.-thick, 12-in.-diameter circle. Remove top piece of waxed paper; place a 9-in. pie plate upside down over pastry. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert pastry into pan. Remove waxed paper. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
5) Preheat oven to 400°.
6) Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork; line with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool slightly.
7) To assemble the rustic pie, layer half the corned beef, half the cheese and three-fourths of potato mixture in baked crust. Repeat corned beef and cheese layers; sprinkle with remaining potato mixture.
8) Re-roll dough trimmings; use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make shamrock petals and a knife to cut out a stem. Brush dough trimmings with milk. Bake until crust and cheese are golden brown, 35-40 minutes.

Wow, oh wow - top drawer !

I'd been thinking only recently that there seem to be as many ways of making corned beef hash as there are people who enjoy it. And here's another (significant) variation.

I'd never even considered the possibility of a 'pie' - thank you @CraigC - it's on my list !

Its a really sad thing - but in the UK we don't even know what proper corned beef is, let alone what to do with leftover corned beef. Do we have a recipe for real corned beef on the forum I wonder? I'll search tomorrow...

Last edited:
If you've got a picture, please post it. This sounds amazing. The butter crust really makes this something special (I can seriously see just eating the crust if the rest of it didn't also look so delicious).

Back
Top Bottom