The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:07 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1697.JPG

Some of you might want to make this recipe because it’s delicious. Others may want to make this because you accidentally bought the Kroger brand cornflakes, instead of the Kellogg’s brand your wife wanted, and now you’ve got lots of extra cornflakes. I won’t judge.

If you decide to use larger shrimp, you may have to cook a little bit longer. Don’t use shrimp that are too small, because they’ll overcook.

I should also note that I have taken an empty container of butter spray, and put oil in it. This is essential for this recipe, since you can put a small amount of oil on the shrimp without drenching it. It’s also essential if you have an air fryer.

The serving size is 3 shrimp, which isn't bad nutritionally. I've served it with blueberry barbecue sauce.

Cornflake Shrimp Nutrition.JPG

Ingredients

1 pound raw shrimp, 26/30 size, peeled and deveined
3 cups cornflakes
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon of whatever seasoning you like (garlic salt, Cajun seasoning, etc); I used berbere
1 egg, beaten
2g oil (in spray bottle; 20 sprays)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Spray baking sheet with 10 squirts of oil.

2. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and seasoning on both sides of the shrimp. Add remaining seasoning to a bag with flour, and shake to combine.

3. Crush cornflakes in another bag. They should still be a little bit chunky: don’t reduce them to a powder!

4. Place a few shrimp in bag with flour mixture, seal, and shake to coat shrimp.

5. Place beaten egg in a shallow container. Dip a few shrimp at a time in the egg, then pull out and allow to drip excess back into container.

6. Place shrimp in bag with cornflakes, and carefully roll around to coat. Place on baking sheet.

7. Repeat steps 4 - 6 until all shrimp have been coated and placed on baking sheet. Spray top of shrimp with remaining 10 squirts of oil.

8. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then serve with homemade blueberry barbecue sauce, if desired

Nice - juicy prawns in a crunchy coating. Cornflakes can be used to coat all kinds of things, I think and as they are quite neutral tasting they don't compete with the taste of the food. Do they work out less cals than using breadcrumbs, I wonder.

Nice - juicy prawns in a crunchy coating. Cornflakes can be used to coat all kinds of things, I think and as they are quite neutral tasting they don't compete with the taste of the food. Do they work out less cals than using breadcrumbs, I wonder.
I tried plugging in breadcrumbs, and I have to think that the quantities aren't the same: I won't need 3 cups of breadcrumbs (which yields a staggering 207 calories for the same serving). But, 1 cup of breadcrumbs = 117 calories, and that sounds about right.

The big saving was in the use if lightly sprayed oil vs. deep frying. I really like this method, since it's superior to cooking spray with a small impact on the nutritional value.

Oooh! These look amazing late night! I have been looking for a different way to do shrimps so I can't wait to try these out. I just hope i can get them to look as good as yours!

Back
Top Bottom