Crickets for calcium? Don't let it bug you!

Local time
12:33 PM
Website
www.helium.com
It might sound like something out of one of the Bushtucker Trials on I'm a Celebrity, but food writer Stefan Gates reckons we could all be eating insects in the not too distant future. And it's healthy eating, too - 4 crickets contain as much protein as a cup of milk. Want a healthy alternative to crisps? Try barbecue flavoured worm larvae crisps - although at £8.95 a go, I don't think Walkers - and their front man Gary Lineker - will be losing any sleep over the competition.

So, would you eat insects? Or have you already done so? I think I'd rather starve, personally. :sick:

Only a few flies when out on the bike, but if I'm honest, I don't know if I could bring myself to eat insects on purpose!

As for Tarantula kebabs - erm, no!! :eek:

I'd certainly give them a try minced up. I've seen someone make a burger from mealworms that way, and there are places in Africa were people collect the vast swarms of tiny flies that emerge from lakes, and compact them into patties.

Whole recognisable things, I'd like to think I'd try. I think I'd be more likely to try something crispy or crunchy, than chewy or soft....

Back
Top Bottom