Crisp or soft salad leaves?

I recently rediscovered these:
View attachment 22203
The traditional British round lettuce. Soft leaves, packed with flavour, perfect in a sandwich. I remember eating lettuce sandwiches when I was really young - just a few of these leaves, sprinkled with salt between two slices of buttered bread.
Yes. Looks like the.butter/Bibb/Boston lettuce in my pic.

Loved those little watercress tea sandwiches on buttered white bread.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-2_23-34-0.png
    upload_2019-2-2_23-34-0.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 167
Love a bed of arugula for beef carpoccio, bib lettuce for Asian wraps and romaine as a bed for Caprese salad which we often make with roasted red bells instead of tomatoes.

How about some appetizers? Place a potsticker on a Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaf. Drizzle with soy sauce or hot sauce. Top with shredded carrots, chopped chives, a sprinkle of peanuts. Roll it up and eat.

How about some appetizers? Place a potsticker on a Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaf. Drizzle with soy sauce or hot sauce. Top with shredded carrots, chopped chives, a sprinkle of peanuts. Roll it up and eat.
All sounds good, but what's a potsticker?

All sounds good, but what's a potsticker?

They are also called wontons, like you would find in wonton soup but fried or steamed and served as an appetizer. It's a square of dough or a wonton skin filled with beef, chicken or vegetables. You can also find ready-made wontons/potstickers/dumplings/gyoza in the frozen food section of (asian) markets. Will see if I can find a pic.

They are also called wontons, like you would find in wonton soup but fried or steamed and served as an appetizer. It's a square of dough or a wonton skin filled with beef, chicken or vegetables. You can also find ready-made wontons/potstickers/dumplings/gyoza in the frozen food section of (asian) markets. Will see if I can find a pic.
Ah, thank you for the explanation. I think these are the same as Chinese dumplings?

Ah, thank you for the explanation. I think these are the same as Chinese dumplings?

Yes. I call them dumplings, potstickers, gyoza, wontons. They're easy to make at home. The Wonton or gyoza wrappers are usually in the refrigerated section at the market, along with egg roll wrappers.

I spread everything out on the coffee or dining room table while I watch TV and fill them. I put the wonton wrapper in a little wonton maker Gadget I picked up, add about a teaspoon of filling, press and seal. It seals, crimps and cuts the excess dough for you. You can use the gadget to make ravioli (butternut squash, Etc.), or (mashed potato-filled) pierogi as well. Fill them with whatever you like.

Last edited:
Which do you prefer? It seems that soft salad leaves have become increasingly popular here judging by the supermarket shelves - offerings such as rocket (arugula), lambs lettuce, oak leaf, chard, baby leaf spinach etc. which are often sold ready washed in mixed salad bags.

I much prefer crisp salad leaves- including the much maligned iceberg lettuce. But also cos (Romaine), baby gem, chicory (endive), watercress. I suppose the latter is crisp and soft.

Do you have a preference?

I like a mix of both crunchy and not.. And I tend to like making my own mixes, as many brands of pre-mixed taste of the plastic they're bound into. When I can find it, I'll add watercress, too - it's that hint of spice I love. Arugula / rocket also adds spice.

When I can find it, I'll add watercress, too - it's that hint of spice I love.

Me too - its one of my favourite leaves. There is nothing quite like leaves eaten within hours of picking. I used to live near Alresford in Hampshire, known as the UK watercress capital. It even has a Watercress Line steam railway and there is an annual Watercress Festival in May. The festival features a watercress eating competition!

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 09.59.56.png

Back
Top Bottom