Recipe Crispy Orange Ginger Tofu

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:50 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm effectively vegan and easy tofu quite a bit now that I'm in Australia and it is so much cheaper and readily available. I'm always on the look out for marinades and ways of cooking tofu and the current challenge ingredient is oranges, so this recipe struck me as the perfect solution.

It comes from this site http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/crispy-orange-ginger-tofu-with-broccoli/ , one I have not used before, but will be looking at more closely now.

orange-ginger-tofu-2.jpg

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. extra firm tofu
  • 250ml orange juice
  • ¼-1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. orange zest
  • vegetable oil
  • 2 small broccoli crowns or 1 large, broken into florets
  • 2 scallions
  • sesame seeds
  • red pepper flakes (optional)

Instructions
  1. Drain and then press tofu for 15-20 minutes. Dry it as much as possible.
  2. Meanwhile, in small bowl or cup, dissolve 1½ tbsp. cornstarch in a few tablespoons of your orange juice. Set aside.
  3. Place remaining orange juice in a small saucepan, along with brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and orange zest. Bring to a low simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
  4. Stir in cornstarch mixture until completely blended. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Cut tofu into cubes and roll in remaining cornstarch to coat.
  6. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Add tofu cubes and cook a few minutes on each side, until browned and crispy. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
  7. Steam broccoli florets to desired tenderness. Return tofu to skillet, along with broccoli and sauce. Toss everything to coat.
  8. Serve over rice, topped with scallions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes

I'm effectively vegan and easy tofu quite a bit now that I'm in Australia and it is so much cheaper and readily available. I'm always on the look out for marinades and ways of cooking tofu and the current challenge ingredient is oranges, so this recipe struck me as the perfect solution.

It comes from this site http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/crispy-orange-ginger-tofu-with-broccoli/ , one I have not used before, but will be looking at more closely now.

orange-ginger-tofu-2.jpg

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. extra firm tofu
  • 250ml orange juice
  • ¼-1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp. orange zest
  • vegetable oil
  • 2 small broccoli crowns or 1 large, broken into florets
  • 2 scallions
  • sesame seeds
  • red pepper flakes (optional)

Instructions
  1. Drain and then press tofu for 15-20 minutes. Dry it as much as possible.
  2. Meanwhile, in small bowl or cup, dissolve 1½ tbsp. cornstarch in a few tablespoons of your orange juice. Set aside.
  3. Place remaining orange juice in a small saucepan, along with brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and orange zest. Bring to a low simmer and allow to cook for about 15 minutes.
  4. Stir in cornstarch mixture until completely blended. Remove from heat and set aside.
  5. Cut tofu into cubes and roll in remaining cornstarch to coat.
  6. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Add tofu cubes and cook a few minutes on each side, until browned and crispy. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
  7. Steam broccoli florets to desired tenderness. Return tofu to skillet, along with broccoli and sauce. Toss everything to coat.
  8. Serve over rice, topped with scallions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes

Sounds good. I might try this as I have all ingredients. But I wonder why its pictured minus the broccoli (I checked the other photos on the website)? :scratchhead:

It's the texture in it that I don't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. I might try this as I have all ingredients. But I wonder why its pictured minus the broccoli (I checked the other photos on the website)? :scratchhead:
If you read the site, he states he forgot to add it, and wasn't going to redo all of the photos, but added it later just before serving it.

I can skip meat in a meal and eat just veggies & a starch at times, but I just won't eat tofu!
I do understand re the texture. My daughter is vegetarian but is a hopeless cause - she doesn't like tofu (texture) or mushrooms and will only just tolerate beans and lentils. Its quite difficult to please her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can skip meat in a meal and eat just veggies & a starch at times, but I just won't eat tofu!
Like I said, the texture of meat and fish does the same for me. Tofu can be prepared so it does not have to be 'slimey' at all. One version do breaks down into a scrambled egg type texture, another, people would not even know if there (usually pureed to make a creamy sauce and the 3rd is much more 'chewy' one well 'fried' or baked. It is all down to perceived texture and what you think you are getting. Nothing more. Some of the Chinese and Japanese versions I have had in resturanats, sorry I sould say Asian, have been stunning and are nothing like the perceived or out of the packet texture. After all, most people would not eat uncooked meat and would not like the texture of that if they were to eat it as is either.

Last edited:
I do understand re the texture. My daughter is vegetarian but is a hopeless cause - she doesn't like tofu (texture) or mushrooms and will only just tolerate beans and lentils. Its quite difficult to please her.
Cameron, Baby Alicia, Isaiha and Jayden..jpg

Like THESE cute sweet little kids!

I watched their mom make lunch for them. She made rice with kiabasa and veggies mixed together.

In order to get the kids to eat the veggies, she put sugar in it! She had me take some of it from the boy on the right (He was the one sitting the closest to me.) and taste it. It was way too sweet. She told me that she does that in order to get them to eat their veggies. WOW!!!

I would tend to think that their are other healthier ways to get your children to eat their veggies, rather than to put sugar in their food!! But that is what she does. It is what it is. :headshake::stop:

Back
Top Bottom