flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:24 AM
I received this crock pot as a gift a few years back and this will only be the third or fourth time that I have put it to use. I really should use it more often as it is a very versatile kitchen appliance.

CrockPot01.png

CrockPot02.png

Slow Cooking is a technique worth exploring and crock pots are the tool.

The best thing I make in my crock pot is pea soup with ham utilizing a leftover ham bone from a holiday such as Easter. It's done in 3 steps: render some fat from the ham, sweat some chopped onions in fat, dump onions, baby carrots, dried peas, chicken stock, rosemary, bay leaves, and ham bone in the crock and set it to high for 4 hours.

Last edited:
I use mine lots. Its great for slow cooked stews and curries. But I gather you can also cook puddings and cakes in them - something I intend to look into.
pea soup with ham utilizing a leftover ham bone from a holiday such as Easter.

Definitely very good for pea and ham soup.:hungry:

But I gather you can also cook puddings and cakes in them - something I intend to look into.

You felt in your other post that cooking a Sea Pie in a Crock Pot would result in it being soggy. If you can cook a cake in one, I think that lends odds to my being able to do a Sea Pie in one.

I note that when a Sea Pie is oven baked, it is baked in the shell which has the dough inserted first, followed by stuffing, then topped with dough and a hole punched in it to let out steam. If you web search for Crock Pot Sea Pie, you'll find some recipes that slow cook the stuffing only and then pour it into an oven baked shell.

I have my plans made out. Let's see how it goes.

If you can cook a cake in one, I think that lends odds to my being able to do a Sea Pie in one.

A cake is not a pie. Cakes can be soft and moist but pastry needs to be crisp. I suppose a crock-pot is really a mini oven which only reaches low temperatures though. Even if the pastry doesn't go soggy I strongly suspect it would become tough and inedible if slow cooked. But I am more than happy to be proved wrong!

Last edited:
Why do you use a crock pot ?....Convenience or taste ?

Because you like recipes that cook that way...or....it's easy to fill the pot...go to work and come home to a ready cooked meal ?

Why do you use a crock pot ?....Convenience or taste ?

Because you like recipes that cook that way...or....it's easy to fill the pot...go to work and come home to a ready cooked meal ?

I don't need to use it to cook while I'm at work as I no longer work. :dance:. I use it because its economical on power and provides a gentle steady heat. Its relaxed cooking!

Whenever I make chili. I use a crock pot.

I've also made and ribs in a crock pot. What you get is incredibly juicy and fall-off-the-bone, but it does need to be re-basted and finished in the oven.

I just did some baby back ribs in mine from start to finish on the Warm setting, let them slow cook overnight. The next day, they were fall-off-the-bone juicy & tender!! All that was left to do was to slather them with some BBQ sauce & let them smother a little bit longer. Slid right off the bone!! :wink:

Last edited:
Whenever I make chili. I use a crock pot.

I've also made and ribs in a crock pot. What you get is incredibly juicy and fall-off-the-bone, but it does need to be re-basted and finished in the oven.

A friend of mine swears by a crock pot (slow cooker) for pork ribs because the meat "falls off the bone". Personally I prefer the meat "stuck" to the bone to eat Neanderthal style.

served 9 s.jpg

A friend of mine swears by a crock pot (slow cooker) for pork ribs because the meat "falls off the bone". Personally I prefer the meat "stuck" to the bone to eat Neanderthal style.

View attachment 14466

I use a slow cooker for my ribs as well!:whistling: Karen likes them "fall of the bone", so I smoke them a little longer. Baby backs are the ribs of choice.

28661143_10216013418154118_8055422622067851264_n.jpg

I think I'll do my ribs like this all the times!!

Came out so good!! Melt in your mouth with no tired jaws from chewing at all!!

Back
Top Bottom