Why do you use a crock pot ?....Convenience or taste ?

Because you like recipes that cook that way...or....it's easy to fill the pot...go to work and come home to a ready cooked meal ?
Both!
Some things are just best cooked low and slow and its very convenient to be able to set it up and then just leave it, knowing that your dinner will be ready when you want it later. And it doesn't matter if you're delayed because it'll stay in there for a few hours extra without ruining the dish.
Yesterday I made a beef curry in mine: started it off first thing in the morning, set it on low and then went out - various errands in the morning, then a bike ride to the pub in the afternoon. Meant that I didn't need to worry about what time we were going to be back - all I had to do when I got home was cook some rice and dinner was ready :hungry:

Yesterday I made a beef curry in mine: started it off first thing in the morning, set it on low and then went out - various errands in the morning, then a bike ride to the pub in the afternoon. Meant that I didn't need to worry about what time we were going to be back - all I had to do when I got home was cook some rice and dinner was ready :hungry:

Perfect!

20180321_173611.jpg

I use crock pot when making lamb shanks, slow cooked gives these best results. With mash n peas. Curries I make in my wok or deep fry pan. Must take some shanks out of the freezer soon.

I just saw a recipe for slow cooker onion soup that I want to try. You fill the crock with sliced onions, a knob of butter, then a bit of sugar, salt, and pepper and let it cook on high for 7 hours. Next, add a few quarts of beef stock and fresh thyme, and cook on high for another hour. Spoon into heavy soup bowls over croutoins, cover with Gruyere cheese and place under the broiler to melt.
Hopefully this will be made next week.

I just saw a recipe for slow cooker onion soup that I want to try. You fill the crock with sliced onions, a knob of butter, then a bit of sugar, salt, and pepper and let it cook on high for 7 hours. Next, add a few quarts of beef stock and fresh thyme, and cook on high for another hour. Spoon into heavy soup bowls over croutoins, cover with Gruyere cheese and place under the broiler to melt.
Hopefully this will be made next week.

Interesting putting all those raw onions into the crockpot with very little else and cooking for 7 hours. I wonder if they brown or stay pale? Its certainly a cheap and easy enough recipe to try out though.

Exactly. I'm all about cheap and easy...

When it comes to food experiments, of course.

My slow cooker gets pretty hot even with liquids added when set to high, so I'm hoping the onuons will brown, at least enough for flavor.

A dark beef stock will make up for pale onions.

Back
Top Bottom