Crostini and Bruschetta

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by CraigC, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone else rubs the toasted bread with raw garlic before adding the topping? Some times I just rub with raw garlic and smear with a cut fresh tomato with no other toppings except a good finishing olive oil.

MypinchofItaly likes this.
  2. Toffeeapple

Toffeeapple Active Member

I do that too but sometimes I add seasalt as well.

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Yes - I do! And I often don't even add a topping except for butter. Also I sometimes rub toast with garlic and crumble into soup.

CraigC and Toffeeapple like this.
  4. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I do. Funnily enough I was showing husband this trick yesterday. I rub garlic, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt. The tomato idea sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2018
  5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I saw that tomato trick on a Jamie Oliver show - also simply grating a tomato on a microplane to get the 'essence'.

Herbie likes this.
  6. Planethoff

Planethoff Member

I've tried rubbing the bread with the raw garlic, but I prefer to mash a clove or two of roasted garlic and mix it with a tablespoon of softened butter and give a light spread. After starting to do it that way, my bruchetta was requested at every gathering for a few years.

7. rascal

rascal Senior Member

I make the tomato and basil salsa mix for my wife's French stick. Toasted bun but never rubbed with garlic.

Russ

8. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Yep. That's the 'basic rule' for bruschette

9. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

What else do you add?

10. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

I love the simple one with garlic and evoo, even if I like to add fresh cut tomatoes and some basil leaves or rocket salad, or even mushrooms (without tomatoes)..I have a recipe for bruschetta with spreadable cheese and fresh sausage.

Herbie and CraigC like this.
  11. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member

We have 1 kind we make copied from an upscale Italian chain, Breo, that uses Pinot Noir braised onions, gorgonzola, arugula and prosciutto. I could make a meal off those alone.

12. oddduck

oddduck Well-Known Member

I put a slice of tomato, Sprinkle garlic powder and italian seasoning, and then to americanize it chedder and monteray jack shreds on top.

My sil butters the bread and chops her tomatos up with onion and garlic and then mozzarella shreds.

I like mine better hers i find hers greasy and not garlicy enough.

morning glory likes this.