Cryptic food and drink

Folklore says this about certain activities.

Meanwhile, The Mallard Tavern has still not got round to trying out the Adnams Oyster Stout. This is largely because of the intervention of the splendid Yeovil Ales brewery, which offered us a discount that was much too good to turn down. We now have both Yeovil and Adnams beer to contemplate, including a stout from both.

Late news: the regulars at The Mallard have just agreed that the Oyster Stout should get an airing this evening.

A similarly easy one I believe. I feel sure someone must have written it already - but I came up with it all on my own.

Sums altered to conceal original salary (4)

The Oyster Stout proved to be outstanding, resulting in long queues.

twack-ducks.jpg

More meaty French stuff (can also end with a y, apparently). I was looking at the anagram and came up with Uganda Slim, who sounds like an African hip-hop artist.

The question travelling around the corridors a week or so ago was, "Has the Cryptic Food and Drink thread jumped the shark?" I say categorically not.

I was contributing some little quiz questions to a newsletter and one part of them involved the following ten cryptic clues, the theme of which will be immediately obvious. So, here they are:

Fish needs to be paid for on arrival (3)
Owned jetty for fish (7)
Fish on woman's finger (7)
Sarah takes half the day to get fish (6)
I go into venue for the fish (6)
Surrealist routine includes fish (5)
Throw back head and eat fish (7)
Messily cram leek with fish (8)
1980s hairstyle for fish? (6)
Land fish (5)

No prizes on offer, merely that warm glow of satisfaction from getting the answers.

Fish needs to be paid for on arrival (3) = Cod
Owned jetty for fish (7) = Haddock
Fish on woman's finger (7) = Herring
Sarah takes half the day to get fish (6) = Salmon
I go into venue for the fish (6) = Plaice
Surrealist routine includes fish (5) = Trout
Throw back head and eat fish (7) = Sardine (?)
Messily cram leek with fish (8) = Mackerel
1980s hairstyle for fish? (6) = Mullet
Land fish (5) = Perch

Back
Top Bottom