Cryptic food and drink

atnzo0.jpg

Here's a longish, but fairly easy one.

Greyhounds rip kid to shreds - completely battered! (9,7)
I'm giving up whilst I'm ahead!
It may be easy but currently all I can see are 10 letters in greyhounds so assuming that rip means I need to drop a letter somewhere.
kid to shreds... or does shreds mean the anagram? but then kid to is only 5.... and I am lost with completely battered... battered I assume means something to do with batter rather than mixed as in anagram... completely must therefore be part of the clue? I'm also assuming that the answer has something to do with fish and chips for some reason but I seariously can't put my finger on it (see below, its a really bad pun)

OK morphine is now getting the better of me (as is my rather painful index finger which had a minor disagreement with a set of very tough and sharp (new) scissors this mronign and well, the index finger lost the discussion and really needs a stitch in it but I'm hoping that a suture and a touch of TLC will work because I don't want to go to even the minors A&E because I can't get there easily without my OH and he has taken enough time off work....) so am I even vaguely close?

I'm giving up whilst I'm ahead!
It may be easy but currently all I can see are 10 letters in greyhounds so assuming that rip means I need to drop a letter somewhere.
kid to shreds... or does shreds mean the anagram? but then kid to is only 5.... and I am lost with completely battered... battered I assume means something to do with batter rather than mixed as in anagram... completely must therefore be part of the clue? I'm also assuming that the answer has something to do with fish and chips for some reason but I seariously can't put my finger on it (see below, its a really bad pun)

OK morphine is now getting the better of me (as is my rather painful index finger which had a minor disagreement with a set of very tough and sharp (new) scissors this mronign and well, the index finger lost the discussion and really needs a stitch in it but I'm hoping that a suture and a touch of TLC will work because I don't want to go to even the minors A&E because I can't get there easily without my OH and he has taken enough time off work....) so am I even vaguely close?
You are getting there! You need 16 letters in all. Greyhounds is 10 as you say. So another 6 required. The anagram indicator should be at the beginning or end of the words to be used in the anagram. So... you are right, 'shreds' is the indicator or 'to shreds'. That leaves 'kid' and 'rip' - 6 letters.

Its nothing to do with fish and chips. I thought that at first. Its a good anagram clue because the thing you are looking for is in a sense, completely battered. You may be having trouble with this clue... but you once said in a post you were having trouble making these! And there has been a recent thread which has discussed them..

Back
Top Bottom