Cryptic food and drink

I quite like the use of dialect in a novel, though of course this doesn't mean it's bad English. Irvine Welsh, Niall Griffiths and James Kelman do this brilliantly. It can be quite hard to read at first, but I try to think of the characters speaking in that accent and it works.

My idiot gets all sorts of things wrong and I had fun with getting a Polish girl correcting his inept English.

Oh yes. I like dialect in novels although it can be difficult to read as you say. I love the idea of a Polish woman correcting!

I was quite pleased with one episode where I had a dim Scottish woman making a complete balls of things and then blaming the Polish girl. To cut a long story short, our antihero ends up in completely the wrong place, lays into the wrong person and then has to acknowledge that he's totally wrong.

I was quite pleased with one episode where I had a dim Scottish woman making a complete balls of things and then blaming the Polish girl. To cut a long story short, our antihero ends up in completely the wrong place, lays into the wrong person and then has to acknowledge that he's totally wrong.

It sounds very funny. Are you getting revenge on someone? I had a boss that I loathed. She put pomp and circumstance before sense and sensibility. She spent the best part of a formal appraisal with me trying to persuade me to wear a hat for the graduation ceremony. I refused.

I've heard of buttermilk (and yoghurt - ha!) spelt laban among other transliterations, but I'm far from convinced that this is what we're looking for.

I've heard of buttermilk (and yoghurt - ha!) spelt laban among other transliterations, but I'm far from convinced that this is what we're looking for.
There is an alternative spelling (not laban as far as I know). The alternative spelling is 6 letters.

This is always one of the problems of interpreting things from scripts like Arabic. Take Gadaffi/Qadaaffi/Gadafy (ad nauseam) for example.

I have the sense that I am unfamiliar with this cheese.

This is always one of the problems of interpreting things from scripts like Arabic. Take Gadaffi/Qadaaffi/Gadafy (ad nauseam) for example.

I have the sense that I am unfamiliar with this cheese.

It is a cheese made from yoghurt. A soft cheese.

Finally. The Observer have now managed to provide me with £25 in book tokens after my Azed triumph. It only took three emails and one phone call to get them. It was a great deal easier completing the crossword than getting the book tokens.

Back
Top Bottom