Cryptic food and drink

That looks correct but I'n still having trouble working out how! I think I'm losing the knack.
Is it the initial letters of both 'prop' and 'escape' that are included?

Explanation of slightly convoluted clue:

Anagram of 'cap let' (alluded to by 'scrum'), with 'p' and 'e' ('prop escape initially'). With hooker in the middle.

Without wishing to appear hardline Ximenean about this, the clue is rather non-standard. Yes, one can see the anagram, but effectively one is having to solve a clue to find the anagram.

Without wishing to appear hardline Ximenean about this, the clue is rather non-standard. Yes, one can see the anagram, but effectively one is having to solve a clue to find the anagram.

Well I thought it was OK in the sense that the word fishy is being used as both an anagram indicator (vicar + a is 'fishy') and as part of the definition 'fishy delicacy'. I'm sure I've seen that done before.

The Azed in the Observer is getting to a stage beyond satire now. One of the top three winners in the latest competition puzzle provided a clue that was essentially a grovelling reference to Azed himself. Two of the "VHC" (Very Highly Commended - how patronising is that?) entries contained similarly arse-licking references to Don Manley, who is one of Azed's big chums and who nearly always wins. Honestly, this old pals' club is beginning to get on my wick.

Back
Top Bottom